Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help on squaring up tops >

Need help on squaring up tops

Need help on squaring up tops

Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BETTY62
Help, I am not good with a measuring tape, a ruler over 12 inches or math. Also, I don't always understand formulas the first go round and this is one of those times. I need to know if the quilted top in the example is being measured in 3 places from side to side and averaged out to the 41 inches? Next am I putting a 41 inch border on both sides of the quilted top? Then I repeat this process and measure the quilted top in 3 places from the top to the bottom and average that out to determine the size of that border Does the quiler cut this down to a smaller size or do I end up with a really big quilt? I am sorry I just don't understand and would appreciate help.
Are you asking how wide your borders would be? If so, you make the border strips to the width you desire and length is averaged. If that is what you are asking? Example, 3 inches wide by 41 inches long.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
When applying your borders be sure to follow these steps:

■measure the width in three areas, average the width (41″, 40″, 42″=41″ for each border)
■cut two pieces at 41″
■pin and carefully sew, press
■next measure the length, following the same instructions above
This will ensure a square quilt. After the borders are applied and pressed, take these measurements and add 8″ to the width and 8″ to the length for your backing size. So a 70″ X 70″ quilt will need at least a 78″ X 78″ backing. The reason for this is I pin the quilt backing to leaders adding the batting and next the quilt top. Remove any selvages from your backing.

This is what I suggest to my customers... Take the time to do this and you will be a happy camper.
This is how I did it untill the extra 8" --- That extra is 8" is needed. -- I just bought a quilting frame in Sept and found out the hard way. Quilting by hand, can work without the extra, but it is needed for the clamps and leaders on a frame when machine quilting. I also pin the ends then the middle out for an equal fit.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped me out by explaining the measurement in a way that I could clearly understand. Last night I got myself so confused that I could only come up with a quilt about 123 inches wide and I knew that couldn't be right. The good news is I won't be on this medication forever!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM

these answers are what I needed,thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

if my quilting in the border pushes the fabric in the corner out a bit i take a large square ruler and place it in the corners, lining up lines on the border seams. them trim maybe 1/8 off if necessary.