Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help!!

Need Help!!

I am machine quilting a wallhanging that is a window-pane design. It is divided into four squares. The squares are appliqued birds on tree limbs. I used an off white/shell colored fabric for the background. Sashing and borders are brown, red and multi colored "tail-feather" fabric. My quilt backing is dark brown. The birds are quilted, and I SID around the panels. Now I want to crosshatch each panel, using off white thread. My problem is that the bobbin thread shows on each stitch, making it look like polka dots. I have tried adjusting my thread tension one hundred ways to Sunday, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'd post pics, but sadly I don't even own a camera!! I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer! I've learned so much reading and viewing everyone's work, I'm hoping it's a "well duh!!!" answer...as in I should have been able to figure this out myself!!! Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    My first thought is a too big a needle - try a 12 or b) a burr on the needle from hitting something. If it's a tension problem, you need to tighten the bobbin tension if the bobbin thread is showing on the top.

Blog Entries
    Whenever I have this problem I just use invisible thread in both the top and bottom. Some say that it is difficult to get the correct tension with this thread, but I haven't had any problem using my Bernina. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Since it's a wall hanging, do you really care what the back looks like? I would just use the off white in the bobbin too.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Since it's a wall hanging, do you really care what the back looks like? I would just use the off white in the bobbin too.
    I agree. I would as well use same top and bottom. If you loosen the tension you will get light specks on the back - if you tighten is you will get dark specks on the top and a perfect tension will still more than likely show dark specks on the top. I would use the light thread on the back and be done with it. I find this problem even on my Mid Arm and for that reason have gone to using same top and bottom.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    You could also use invisible thread just in the bobbin. That would eliminate the polka dots. If you use invisible thread, it's important to purchase a good brand. I have had no problems at all using YLI monofilament nylon, which has about the diameter of a hair (.003 mm). Some brands of nylon thread are so thick they are more like fishline. A lot of people have switched to invisible polyester thread instead of nylon, and that is easier to find in local shops.

Thanks so much ladies! I tried a new needle, and the invisible thread, but in the light of day, found that just using the off white thread was the best way to go. I should have realized I was too tired to think straight, when I was having trouble seeing, went to remove my glasses, and realized I wasn't wearing them!!!