Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for "Dogs on the Beach" Attic Window quilt: final borders

Need ideas for "Dogs on the Beach" Attic Window quilt: final borders

I could finish this little attic window quilt as is but want to add a narrow border (maybe 1") then about a 4" final border in order to make it bigger (it's now 60 1/2" square). I'm thinking of red for the narrow border (there's some red in the dog images) then a blue to match the blue in the dog images--you can see it in their sunglasses, etc....... or maybe a dark gray, though what this quilt seems to need is more color, not more neutrals. I thought of black for the final but think it would be too stark...and it's yet another neutral. I now regret using the light tan for the window "frames" (sashing) and wish I'd used red or black instead, but when I auditioned the lighter color it seemed to work against the darker "sills". Live and learn! I'm certainly not ripping anything out and doing it over; I'd start from scratch again first.....and I'm not doing that either. Apologies for the lack of sharpness in the full photo, not sure what happened. The closeup is my audition of sashing; I include it to show the dogs in the windows better. Thanks for your suggestions or comments!

Name:  DSC01931.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  1.20 MBName:  DSC01932.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  1.18 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by mme3924; 02-05-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: to add another photo

Red and Blue would look good. Also have used this fabric, and navy and rust look good with it. I love your quilt!!!!!

I like the idea of a small red inner border but am thinking that you need the other border in a "neutral" maybe a gray? My other thought for the outer border is a white with black spots, not a polka dot but one that mirrors the dalmation look.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea for red for an inner border but I think the outer border should be dark brown to go with part of the window! Just my opinion!! Nice quilt!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

It is soooo cute! I think it needs a dark brown outer border.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I like the idea of a small red inner border but am thinking that you need the other border in a "neutral" maybe a gray? My other thought for the outer border is a white with black spots, not a polka dot but one that mirrors the dalmation look.
    Oh, that's an idea! Thank you! Wonder how hard it will be to find a dalmatian like print!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    It is soooo cute! I think it needs a dark brown outer border.

I thought of dark brown, too, but thought it might be too much like the mottled brown of the inner frame.

Senior Member craftygal63@yahoo.com's Avatar
    What about a 1.5" red, then repeat the the 2.5" tan, then 3.5 blue.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Red and Blue would look good. Also have used this fabric, and navy and rust look good with it. I love your quilt!!!!!
    Thank you! It's intended for my DS and DIL who have a dog instead of a child (though I'm still hoping!) I hope it doesn't end up in the dog's bed but if it does, oh well......

Quote Originally Posted by craftygal63@yahoo.com View Post
    What about a 1.5" red, then repeat the the 2.5" tan, then 3.5 blue.
    A good idea! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast