Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need ideas how to quilt the 3.5 inch border

I want to keep it simple on the outside border. Any suggestions. I am no good right now at free motion. The small inside border is a folded border.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you continue to use the same quilting that you have already done but change the direction of the lines.

Since you aren't comfortable with free motion yet, I'd suggest you do a piano key in the border. Put some pins in there to stabilize things, then stitch from your narrow border to the outside. This will tie your interior to your outside, and give you some nice texture.

If you were more comfortable with free motion, I suggest a lacy curved feather. Your fabric is busy, so the detail wouldn't be noticed, but the texture would.

Have fun, and don't forget to breathe!!!

Blog Entries
    Very pretty!

Blog Entries
    One of the companies (I believe it might be Golden Threads) sells border designs paper in rolls. You could picka design and pin the roll to the border fabric and away you go. I used it on a flannel patchwork quilt with a wide border a couple of years ago. It worked well.

Blog Entries
    Maybe narrow straight lines the same distance apart as the others, only following the vertical sides and then horizontal on the top and bottom :D:D:D
    Very cute quilt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    One of the companies (I believe it might be Golden Threads) sells border designs paper in rolls. You could picka design and pin the roll to the border fabric and away you go. I used it on a flannel patchwork quilt with a wide border a couple of years ago. It worked well.
    This is a cool idea, for a beginner at FMQ. I may try this!