Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques >

In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques

In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques

Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 PM

carol doak and craftsy is awesome. I can tell you I learned a hell of lot more than on you tube which is where I first learned. Craftsy also has a paperless paper pieceing class by sharon schambers daughter that is also awesome
Old 08-19-2015, 06:25 AM

I make templates of the separate pieces needed plus the 1/4" seam allowance so I don't have to waste more fabric than necessary. I cut a little wider to be sure it fits & go for it!! Works great for me! I use the dollar store cutting mats so a whole sheet is only 50 cents at most & they last forever! It makes it pretty stress-free for me! Hope it helps!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM

I tried the fold back method yesterday and things went a lot smoother (no 'F' bombs). I guess I'll have to adjust to the amount of wasted fabric because I love the finished product. I'll be checking out all links & resources given.

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails 000_3824.jpg  

Last edited by Twisted Quilter; 08-19-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done PP but this topic just sent me a lightbulb moment. Why not use the garment sewing tool for marking darts (called a Tracing Wheel) to perforate the paper? It's a handle with a metal toothed wheel that will put little perforations in the line to make removing the paper easier.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 AM

When I was working on a Judy Neimeyer feathered star I used her method of folding down on a postcard and placing the add a quarter ruler. I also found it helpful to go over the cutlines with a yellow sharpie marker before starting any sewing. This saved me from holding the paper and fabric up to a window to check placement.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I really took off in paper piecing when I watched Carol Doak's on YouTube. She has a DVD that someone gave me and I watched it and it taught me everything I needed to know and then shortly after I found that the DVD had been put on YouTube. So look her up there and watch it and you won't have hardly any questions anymore.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 AM

June Tailor, Linda Hahn, Sharon Schamber and Ricky Timms all sell PP foundation sheets that can be run through a printer, then don't have to be removed once the blocks are finished. The June Tailor can be found at JAF and WalMart, and Linda Hahn sells it on her website. Sharon Schamber and Ricky Timms sell them on their websites, and you can also buy it in yardage, as well as in sheets. I use these, because I can see the lines clearly on both sides and they don't have be removed.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I haven't done PP but this topic just sent me a lightbulb moment. Why not use the garment sewing tool for marking darts (called a Tracing Wheel) to perforate the paper? It's a handle with a metal toothed wheel that will put little perforations in the line to make removing the paper easier.
What a great idea...I couldn't find my Hera marker the other day, and used the wheel to mark straight quilting lines on a mini quilt...not as noticeable as the Hera, but worked...going to try this on my PP mini...