Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques >

In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques

In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques

Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 AM

Default In need of Paper Piecing Tips & Techniques

I decided to give paper piecing a try & really enjoy it, even though it is quite stressful. I've been throwing the 'F' bomb out quite frequently which I never do. Any paper piecing tips or suggestion to share, especially for determining size of fabric for odd shapes.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

i use the fold back method of paper piecing. when the piece you want to sew is folded back, line up the new fabric and look through in front of a bright light. if the piece is covered completely, it will sew out correctly. HTH
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM
bj

One thing I've found helpful is using my ripper point to lightly score along the stitch lines. Makes it easy to fold on the line for trimming seams to 1/4" and aids in easier tearing when it's time to remove the paper bits. Some folks say to shorten stitch length so the perforations are closer together and paper will tear away easier. I don't simply because when I make a mistake ( like sewing the fabric in wrong way out) the short stitches are hard to take out. I love paper piecing, too!! It's the only way I'll make flying geese!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

What is your specific problem?? I always cut a much bigger piece of fabric. The waste is better than getting upset.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM

I would suggest giving yourself about an inch all the way around the odd-shaped pieces. Rough cut them to the shape you need with the added amount. When I'm in doubt, I will also pin along the seam lines and fold back to make sure it covers the area required. Then go back and sew once I have it worked out.

The only part about paper piecing that I don't like is the added waste. Otherwise, it's a great technique especially for some of those really pointy shapes.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Over the last year I have become a paper piecing fan and have posted several, what I hope to be, helpful tips about what I have discovered in my trail and error method. Perhaps a search would turn the hints up and be of use? If you are doing a limited number of odd shapes then holding the pattern up to a window to be sure you have your next to be sewn area covered will work. If it is a shape that repeats itself over and over then creating a template and noting the edge to be sewn will be a wise idea. I eventually bought an inexpensive light table... taking it to a backlit window each time proved an irritation. When using a printed cotton...you must remember: if you have a left and right side on the block, should you decide to cut your fabrics in multiples, you must stack your fabrics face up and then face down to get the cut correct... batiks help avoid that mistake because it is almost the same on both sides. The biggest help I found was using the freezer paper method: where you iron, fold, sew along fold line, iron and repeat ( also mentioned in postings) this method works incredibly well and eliminates ripping away the paper, you use less thread ( regular stitch length ...hence easier ripping when you make an error) and other verbal pluses.

Some people take to this method without any problem and others find it incredibly difficult to think of everything in reverse ( me included) but the results can undoubtedly spectacular and when you finally "get it" you can save the "f" bomb for something else.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM

As I mostly use batiks, I don't have a big problem with right and wrong sides, thank goodness! I do shorten my stitch length and when possible use the freezer paper method. I didn't 'get' it the first time I tried it, but what a difference! I don't have to shorten the stitch length and no paper to remove. Someone suggested dampening the paper with a cotton bud before removing. Losing along the lines before you sew also helps.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i use the fold back method of paper piecing. when the piece you want to sew is folded back, line up the new fabric and look through in front of a bright light. if the piece is covered completely, it will sew out correctly. HTH
QuiltnNan I think I know what you mean, but it would be helpful if you could post a couple of pics showing this. I am learning too, and I do fold back as I go along, but it would help to see. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
QuiltnNan I think I know what you mean, but it would be helpful if you could post a couple of pics showing this. I am learning too, and I do fold back as I go along, but it would help to see. Thanks!
I believe this is the one QuiltnNan is referring to:
http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

I never do it any other way!! Good luck!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Judy Niemeyer's patterns have a template for cutting out your fabric, so there is very little waste. http://www.quiltworx.com/ She also suggests using the add a quarter ruler which I love http://www.quiltworx.com/techniques/...cing-tutorial/