Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some expert help PLEASE!!!! >

Need some expert help PLEASE!!!!

Need some expert help PLEASE!!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Default Need some expert help PLEASE!!!!

Ok I need some help from the experts who are going to look at these pictures and say REALLY.
I am sure that it is an easy fix, but I am teaching myself. I am trying to make a mug rug and this is what is happening.
The machine I am using is a Brothers
Thanks in advance all the expert help
Attached Thumbnails imag0572.jpg   mug.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Well I am no expert but the 1st thing I would do is wind myself a new bobbin & make sure it is in correctly. Then run a straight stitch & adjust your tension if necessary. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM

I'd first check that everything is threaded correctly--incorrect threading can cause those nests on the back.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM

SO, If it is threaded wrong would it still sew. I don't know
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by tedytrser View Post
SO, If it is threaded wrong would it still sew. I don't know
In many cases it will still sew but have issues , such as the one you are showing. As a general rule if the underside of your work has stitching problems... check the top thread and tensions.
It looks like you are using "thread" that is thicker than piecing thread. Make sure you test your tension on a straight stitch on a sample sandwich. Make adjustments to tension ... and potentially the needle if its thick thread ( you many need a larger size, and use a metallic needle or top stitch). Then use the special stitch and make final tension adjustments on the sample.

Last edited by Lori S; 10-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM

My guess is that when you threaded the machine, you put the pressure foot down before you threaded it all the way to the needle. It looks to me like the thread didn't get between the tension disks properly.

My suggestion..rethread from the beginning and don't lower the pressure foot (to get at the needle) until you are ready to thread the needle. Also check that the bobbin is correctly inserted. However, this looks like what a friend had on the back of her sewing when the thread wasn't correctly between the tension disks.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
My guess is that when you threaded the machine, you put the pressure foot down before you threaded it all the way to the needle. It looks to me like the thread didn't get between the tension disks properly.

My suggestion..rethread from the beginning and don't lower the pressure foot (to get at the needle) until you are ready to thread the needle. Also check that the bobbin is correctly inserted. However, this looks like what a friend had on the back of her sewing when the thread wasn't correctly between the tension disks.
I agree. Looks like bad tension on the top thread. Either it didn't get seated in the tension disks or it 'jumped' out of the uptake lever. rethread carefully.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

That just happened to me on a mechanical Brother. I realized I missed that gizmo after it went through the tension thingy. Once I had it threaded properly all was good
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Thank you everyone
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Get your machine sewing well on a regular straight stitch first. I like to use a zig zag for mug rugs. I first straight stitch the perimeter while it is still oversized. I then do a regular zigzag along the edge. I THEN trim it to size just outside the zig zag. I then do another zig zag satin stitch over the previous edge.