Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some Help Please >

Need some Help Please

Need some Help Please

Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Hi fellow quilters,
I require some help from someone who has a quilt program. What I have been attempting to do is draw up a background for a wall hanging I have in mind to make, so far unsuccessfully. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am wanting a log cabin effect in a rectangle design? 24" x 28" using 2 1/2" strips. I have a quilting wizard program (it is the beginner program to EQ) but it wont let me make it as a rectangle.
Something tells me I am going to have to go back to graph paper and a pencil in the end :lol:

Many thanks
Maybe1day
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM

How many blocks do you want in the 24"x 28" wallhanging?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Not sure about your wizard program, but in EQ you can set up your block size to be a rectangle to be a square.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM

I just want to do the one block with the finished size being 18" x 22" then I will do two borders ( a 2" and a 4") to both bring it up to the size I am wanting it to finish at and also to frame the wall hanging.

Mmn as I am wishing to use 2 1/2" strips, maybe that is my problem and I should consider breaking it down into 6 or 8 blocks then bordering? although I don't think that will give me the effect I am after?

Thank you for asking
Kath
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

for a 1 block wall hanging 24x28 using 2.5" strips, using my EQ, my block starts with a 2x4 center and has 5 strips on every side of it. see the pic below
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270143.jpe  
Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I just want to do the one block with the finished size being 18" x 22" then I will do two borders ( a 2" and a 4") to both bring it up to the size I am wanting it to finish at and also to frame the wall hanging.

Mmn as I am wishing to use 2 1/2" strips, maybe that is my problem and I should consider breaking it down into 6 or 8 blocks then bordering? although I don't think that will give me the effect I am after?

Thank you for asking
Kath
ugh!!! i was posting my drawing and did not see your new dimensions. i'm sorry, but i just can't spend any more time on this for you.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Hi Linda,
the beginners program that I have is just a preview really as it has set blocks (16) and I can only change the settings of these set blocks or design (as in change the design way, not the block) something using those particular set blocks and it surprisingly does not have a log cabin block as one of the 16.

Am quite disappointed with this really as I thought it would be a good way to learn something slowly (I am computer challenged) and then once comfortable I would move on to EQ. Guess I am expecting too much from a $35 program :lol:
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi Nancy,
Thank you so much for posting this block. It is a great view for me.
Now that I can actually see what it looks like I am happier and can work it out from here with my graph paper as far as incorporating the borders. I really only wanted one block and when asked started to wonder if that might be the problem.

Thank You very much
Kath
Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Glad someone was able to help. I tried to work out how to draw it up in EQ7 but I am still learning and it wasn't as easy as I thought it might be :oops: :oops:
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Thank you Woody,
These programs are not easy so I am discovering (and I apparently have an easy introduction to them) :oops:
I appreciate the willingness of other quilters to help if they can, we seem to be such a gracious and giving bunch.
Cheers
Kath