Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In need of some serious guidance from the experts >

In need of some serious guidance from the experts

In need of some serious guidance from the experts

Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Default In need of some serious guidance from the experts

Hello, I am Renee. I am making my first quilt, and some things have me stumped......I am attempting to make "Tumbling Blocks Raggy Quilt", which can be viewed at www.freepatterns.com. Type in keyword raggy quilt and it should pull it up.....Anyway, it calls for 6 1/4 by 7" blocks and I have to attatch some freezer paper. I have no clue what size I am supposed to cut my freezer paper.....I really don't think the instructions say anywhere that I can find.....If anyone would like to take the time to pull it up and look it over, I would greatly appreciate....I am going to try and post a link. Thanks so much for any help I can get.

https://www.freepatterns.com/detail....023&cat_id=428
Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

The freezer paper size is given as a template (template D). It is on page 5 of the pattern after I downloaded it as a PDF.

To be honest, this is not the first quilt I would recommend for a beginner. It uses techniques not particularly common even for rag quilts.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM

O.K. Thanks so much....I'm so glad that I have found a site where people don't mind helping.....Hopefully, if I don't become a hopeless drunk trying to make this quilt, I will be able to help someone when it's over...
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM

Prism99.....The other template on the same page is for my diamond pieces, correct? I don't know anything about patterns....If I can get all my pieces cut out properly, I will feel ok....thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM

I wish I could help, but I can tell you that you have come to the right place. When I first started 5 years ago, I didn't make it through one day without asking a question here....and I always got the answers I needed.

Dina
Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

That is a very cute quilt.... not sure that I will be any help though. Good luck. It looks like a quilt I would like to try but would be afraid to try
Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Oh Dear - it may have "Y" seams that sometimes are very difficult.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by reneewill3 View Post
Prism99.....The other template on the same page is for my diamond pieces, correct? I don't know anything about patterns....If I can get all my pieces cut out properly, I will feel ok....thanks
Right. You use that template to cut out your pink, blue and white pieces from fabric. This is one of the things that makes this pattern more difficult -- the fact that you need a template in order to cut out the fabric pieces. What you might want to do is cut this template (Template A) out of freezer paper too. You can iron the template copies to one of the fabrics, stack the fabrics, then cut perhaps 3 layers at a time following the outer lines. You don't have to do it this way, though. The easier way would be to measure the template from one side to the opposite side, cut strips of fabric to that dimension, then lay the template on your strip to cut the other two sides.

If you have not cut out your pieces yet, I ***strongly*** recommend that you heavily starch the flannel first. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. This makes the flannel much more stable so that you get accurate cuts and so the bias edges don't stretch while you are handling them. Even spray starch would help, although it will not give you nearly as much stability as heavy starch will.

Anyway, once you have your flannel pieces cut out, you iron the freezer paper templates from Template D to the wrong side of the flannel pieces following the diagram (in other words, Template D is not placed dead center in the fabric piece; it is placed off-center). The purpose of this freezer paper is to stabilize the flannel while you sew.

I don't think I've seen a more complicated raggy quilt pattern than this one!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM

Oh, thank you so much....This has been so much help....I know it is going to be difficult, but as soon as I saw it, I knew it's the one I wanted to do.....I love the raggy look. It may take me a long time to complete, but at least most everything will be down hill after this one.....