Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need tips on the stitching after turning my potholders? >
  • Need tips on the stitching after turning my potholders?

• Need tips on the stitching after turning my potholders?

Old 12-18-2016, 06:51 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with Tartan and Sushi--I do the ladder stitch and then do other stitching. I believe Sewing with Nancy said she use small strips of fusible, put on inside seams and then pressed area closed. To me, ladder stitch is faster. Please show us your potholders.
    Old 12-19-2016, 04:41 AM

I've read a suggestion to put a line of stay-stitching where the seam will be. It prevents the fabric from stretching during the turning process. I think of it when I'm trying to fold that 1/4" under! Using binding is probably the neatest finishing but takes more time. Hopefully nobody will notice when they are actually being used.
    Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 AM

I do the same as Cari. Less bulk than binding, and work up really fast.
    Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 AM

Do the self binding using the backing fabric. 1 inch all the way around, fold to edge of top, then fold onto top and stitch down.....no flipping out that way.......
    Old 12-19-2016, 05:51 AM

Here are a few things that help me a lot.
    First, try to keep the opening on a straight part. That will make it easier to get the seam to lie flat.
    Second, iron in the seam allowance before you sew. Now the seam knows where to be when you get there to sew it.
    Third, stay stitching on the seam line. As someone else said, that keeps it from stretching while turning.

When the seam is ready to be sewn, I like to top-stitch as close to the edge as I can. That edge doesn't even go under the presser foot. I make sure I can see the very edge of the bottom piece as I sew on the top piece. They are almost even, but I need to see the bottom to make sure they are right. For certain applications, a very tiny zig-zag works here, too.
    Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 AM
    Power Poster

I would not turn them. I would use the technique where you bring the backing to the front to bind, but reverse it so you would bring the front fabric to the back.
    Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Susan. I seen a tutorial where the lady was sewing 2 squares of fabric around the edge with about 1/2 inch seam. She left a 2 " opening to turn it. She started off the fabric sewed in 1/2 inch then turned the fabric to sew around and ended by turning the fabric and sewing off it. I tried it and after turning it the opening kinda wants to stay inside all on it's own. Makes it a lot easier to sew shut evenly. I hope this makes sense and helps. I want to see the pictures too. lol
    Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 AM
    mac

Boy, these ideas are great. I especially like the idea of making it with a bigger front and then turning it to the back making it like a fake binding. I have often pondered on how to do it nicely without using binding. This sounds a lot faster.
    Old 12-19-2016, 09:23 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks to all of you. So many great tips that will always be great to use. I will show pictures as soon as I can. Still working on a few things to get done in time. I have Christmas then my husband's birthday is on Christmas Day, and before that my son's birthday is Dec 21, and my daughter in law's birthday is Jan 2nd. lol....I get all of these in one wack sort of.

My pot holders represent the seasons, but none are done festive like. They are more using the color way, and in prints. More conservative.

I did make one festive thing, but it's for my hubby so I can't say that now, because he reads everything here. He loves seeing all the pictures. lol..

Last edited by JuneBillie; 12-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    Old 12-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mac
    Boy, these ideas are great. I especially like the idea of making it with a bigger front and then turning it to the back making it like a fake binding. I have often pondered on how to do it nicely without using binding. This sounds a lot faster.
    I just did this for the first time on some ufo holiday tablerunners - pieced last year, but didn't have time for traditional binding, so packed away for this year....asked here on board, watched a YouTube, and tried it....I'm now a fan! Did five tablerunners lickety-split!!!!!! So why not on hotpads, or mug rugs......!