Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need very fast QAYG bed quilt ideas, please >

Need very fast QAYG bed quilt ideas, please

Need very fast QAYG bed quilt ideas, please

Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Need very fast QAYG bed quilt ideas, please

I have been asked to make a quilt for a church (raffle) whose regular quilter has just been diagnosed with cancer. They need it in two weeks! Obviously, they don't know a lot about how long quilts take! I need ideas for a very fast quilt which also looks nice and will sell tickets and can be done quilt-as-you-go with the fewest seams per block. In other words, I won't have time to quilt it the usual way and would rather not tie it; therefore, it would be helpful if the pattern lent itself to QAYG. (I already have 48 pieces of batting 12.5 x 12.5 ready and I know I will need more, so I'm hoping for a 12 inch finished block. They want a queen size.) I can cut it on my new Accuquilt GO, which should speed it up. I can cut strips, triangles, or squares of several sizes; probably the bigger the pieces, the better. Yes, I do have dies for 6.5 inch strips, squares, and triangles. I'm thinking scrappy. What patterns could you fellow quilters recommend?

Thanks,
Cricket
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Rail fence goes quickly. So would log cabin or courthouse steps.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM

How 'bout the one shown here? http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2013/0...ing-as-you-go/
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

What about fun and done? It is a string method that quilts it as you piece it. https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284

I am sure it can easily be done without their special ruler.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps Labarynth or the Big Star quilt from Missouri star quilt co because they are done with big pieces? Churn Dash might work well with your dies?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
What about fun and done? It is a string method that quilts it as you piece it. https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284

I am sure it can easily be done without their special ruler.
I have done fun and done with and without the ruler. Easy enough without. You don't even need their pattern, just remember to cut the batting big enough to bring forward. I enjoyed it and it went pretty fast. No hand sewing.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Thank you so much. I'm looking at all your ideas. I had thought only of rail fence myself, none of the others, so thanks. If anyone thinks of more, please post. They (the church members) normally like traditional quilts but I think I cannot consider that as much as the speed with which I can do this. (I also have other quilts waiting.) I think I can do it fast and still have good quality.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Perhaps Labarynth or the Big Star quilt from Missouri star quilt co because they are done with big pieces? Churn Dash might work well with your dies?
Such an education I am getting! So far, I've googled Labarynth and found many patterns by that name. Haven't found the Missouri Star Quilt one yet, but I will. Some of these are really interesting, and some might be fast. Thanks, Tartan.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM

D9P is a nice looking quilt & goes together quickly- you could make your blocks any size you want. I've seen many made with sashing that would lend itself to QAYG. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Do you think I could make a broken dishes pattern fast? It doesn't seem to lend itself very well to QAYG, though, does it?

Thanks for the D9P suggestion, Maggiemay. I could use 6.5 inch strips, couldn't I? Hmmm...