Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your creative juices >

Need your creative juices

Need your creative juices

Old 02-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
Really? They are beautiful birds with a haunting call. Remember "On Golden Pond"?
Agreed, there is nothing more peaceful then dusk or dawn on a lake when the loons start to call.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM

From the description, it doesn't sound like the idiom has to include the word "loon". I think you could use any idiom you want as long as you put a loon in your quilt.

For example, the idiom "all that glitters isn't gold" could be expressed with a loon that was thread painted with metallic thread -- or that has rhinestones or glitter on it.

Or the idiom to "dance with death" could have a loon dancing with the Grim Reaper. "Have a cow" could be the loon sitting next to its egg that has a miniature cow hatching out of it.

There are tons of sites that list idioms on the web. Here's one if you're interested. http://www.idiomsphrases.com/
Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Up north in Indiana, there's Loon Lake namely for all the loons that nest up there. You don't dare treat them cruel the game warden and the residents will come down on you so hard. The bottom of the lake is full of leach beds so it's a great feeding spot.
There is also a Loon Lake in the province of Saskatchewan in Canada. It's a very popular and gorgeous fishing lake. The loon song is magical, especially in the evening.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:33 PM

Bree123, I love your answer. Guess it depends on how the rules are worded. My first thought was Looney Tunes, too.
How about substituting "Loon" for a rhyming work in an idiom, such as "Harvest Loon"?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 AM

Oooh, that could be fun, quilting cat. I'm not sure harvest moon is an idiom but that would definitely work!