Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your help please on how to match these seams ... >

Need your help please on how to match these seams ...

Need your help please on how to match these seams ...

Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Need your help please on how to match these seams ...

I'm making a top that is similar to the below image. The strips are a set width - every other strip is slashed with a bit of the dark strip color.
In my example, columns a, c, e, g, and i are dark.
The others: b, d, f, h, and j are light, and have a strip of the dark in them, creating a diagonal line across the columns.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468020[/ATTACH]

My question is how do i match the seams in column 'd' to be in sync and match the seam in column 'b' and so forth -

I have thought about laying the strips out, pinning together, laying a yard stick across and doing the double pin at the points of the horizontal lines on my light colored columns ...

Yes, I have sewn these together and taken them apart - I wasn't off 'much' and straight on - unless you were close, it wasn't too noticeable. However, with the top laid on a flat surface, looking at it from the side... time to rip it!

Any ideas? I'm open for what has worked for you!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails diagquestiona.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

This would be very, very hard to match up exactly. Have you thought of just making the bottom as one striped piece and appliqueing the top strips on to it?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM

The layout is similar to a bargellow with fracture strips.

How wide are the solid (a, c, etc) stripes?
How wide are the dark strips within the light stripes?

You could measure the "offset" and mark the strips accordingly then attach.

If it were me I would try to first use a ruler with both a straight edge and a diagonal - with the diagonal line matching the same angle as your strips (ie 30, 45) - hopefully the stripes in the striped strip set (say that fast three times) are an equal and easy to measure angle.

Once you know the angle, you can use your straight edge along the solid line of the solid strip and mark the angle with the offset of the strip width.

Not sure if that is making sense .....
Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, it is way over my head.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Can you cut the B, D, F strips by way of strip sets? sew the horizontal strip in the middle then cut on an angle to get the angled stripe. Then it looks like (if your grid is 1 square = 1 inch) that you would need to set the diagonal down 2 inches for each consecutive column. I am also assuming that the "finished" strips are 2", ie: cut 2 1/2". You really have me curious, I might have to go home and see if I can come up with a formula!! The other option is to lay out the fabric, lay a ruler accross the diagonal, cut, sew in a strip diagonally (be very careful of the bias) then cut the piece into strips. I am thinking that you might use every other one to make up for the solid strip that you will sew in between, but maybe the seam allowance will adjust for this. Hummmmmmmmmmmm!! And it gets curiouser and curiouser!! LOL I hope you get it worked out!! Someone else on here MUST be more helpful than I.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 PM

If I was going to try to recreate that look I would first try this: sew the diagonal strips to the white pieces to make one solid piece. Then I would use a long ruler and cut that large piece in vertical strips and sew the dark color strips between them like sashing. This way your vertical lines should match up because they were sewn together first. Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Do you have an angle in mind for the diagonal, such at 30degrees? The math is much easier with some angles than with others. For example, if the angle is 30degrees then you go over 2 inches for every 1 inch you go down.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
If I was going to try to recreate that look I would first try this: sew the diagonal strips to the white pieces to make one solid piece. Then I would use a long ruler and cut that large piece in vertical strips and sew the dark color strips between them like sashing. This way your vertical lines should match up because they were sewgn together first. Hope this makes sense.
Yes, this is my idea too and I too thnk this will work easier than trying to piece small pieces between the long ones.....do a small sample and see if that works....
Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I would make the strips with the angled fabrics longer and adjust them as you lay them out. pin,pin,pin. Great idea!!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by buslady View Post
Can you cut the B, D, F strips by way of strip sets? sew the horizontal strip in the middle then cut on an angle to get the angled stripe. Then it looks like (if your grid is 1 square = 1 inch) that you would need to set the diagonal down 2 inches for each consecutive column. I am also assuming that the "finished" strips are 2", ie: cut 2 1/2". You really have me curious, I might have to go home and see if I can come up with a formula!! The other option is to lay out the fabric, lay a ruler accross the diagonal, cut, sew in a strip diagonally (be very careful of the bias) then cut the piece into strips. I am thinking that you might use every other one to make up for the solid strip that you will sew in between, but maybe the seam allowance will adjust for this. Hummmmmmmmmmmm!! And it gets curiouser and curiouser!! LOL I hope you get it worked out!! Someone else on here MUST be more helpful than I.

Ok, picture this: rows are numbered A -B- C ECT. colors are numbered 1- 2- 3 ect.
row 1 is 1A-1B-1C ans so forth see ex:http://www.clothworks.com/pattern_download.asp?ID=221
and use masking tape on each piece to mark.<o></o>