Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
needle question >

needle question

needle question

Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM

There is an article in July/August of McCall's Quilting about needles. Regarding machine sewing needles, specifically universal needles, the article reads "...for the precision work of piecing or quilting, a "Sharp" needle gives more consistent results on cotton fabric." In all my quilting reading, I had never heard this before. Do I need to stop using universal needles for piecing, and now use sharps? I haven't had any issues with univrsals, I change the needle after every project.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I use the universal needles too... I don't see any reason to use sharps for piecing if you aren't having any issues with universals :D:D:D
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Maybe it means a "sharp" needle as in a new needle???? A dull needle will pull the threads of your fabric. When you hear the needle "pop" as it goes into the fabric, it's dull.
Also, the experts say a needle is only good for 8 hours of sewing.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Somewhere on here, recently, someone said needles labelled "for Jeans" are best because they are VERY sharp. That said, I've always used Universal and don't have a problem. You can also use the search feature here on "needles" to get to other threads that discuss this.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
Maybe it means a "sharp" needle as in a new needle???? A dull needle will pull the threads of your fabric. When you hear the needle "pop" as it goes into the fabric, it's dull.
No, they mean sharps. There are three types of points for machine needles, sharps, ball points and universals. I much prefer sharps but they're harder to find.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I've been using the "universals" - thinnest needle that won't break - mainly because I hate changing needles from wovens to knits. Usually a 70 or 80

I will put a "jeans" needle in for working on denim.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Yes, after reading the article, I went shopping, and looked for sharps at JoAnn's and Hancocks, and neither place had them. I think I will stick with my universals. Thanks for all the replies, I had never heard this before, so I was curious what other people think and what they use. Thanks for reassuring me. I'm still a little under confident of my quilting knowledge.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Joanne's has "quilting" needles that have the green spot on them. Those are what I use.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM

Sharps are also called Microtex these days, by Schmetz anyway. I use them because I use batiks so much and they are much better on the tighter weave. They have an ultrafine point and a thin shaft (70/10 for batiks, 75/11 or 80/12 for regular cottons). I don't buy Universals for anything anymore. :oops:
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by momymom
No, they mean sharps. There are three types of points for machine needles, sharps, ball points and universals. I much prefer sharps but they're harder to find.
are "sharps" the kind of needle you need for silk? Or is there a specific silk needle?

I usually use topstitch or Universal needles. I thought the "universal" meant it "fit into all machines" LOL. I didn't realize it was talking about the pointy end :)