Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needles for Janome 1600 on frame?? >

Needles for Janome 1600 on frame??

Needles for Janome 1600 on frame??

Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM

So, I bought a Grace quilting frame from Craiglist back in March, and finally put my first quilt on it today!! Everything is going okay, but I've broken two needles so far - and I only have a few left.

Can anyone recommend any specific needles that work with the machine? I'm using the Organ needles that have come with the machine. I've quilted a few quilts with them without the frame just fine. The only problem is I'm looking at the allbrands website to find ore of the ones I have, and it's all Greek to me. I can't figure out what is what to even order more of the ones I have!

Can anyone make any specific recommendations of needles and point me to the website?

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM

I use the Organ DB X 1 -100/16 I've quilted quite a few on my 1600P DBX and have no problems.I got a 100 pack(10/10s) a few years ago off of an Ebay store.I also use prewound bobbins off of an Ebay store.Let me know if you want the store's name.

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Thank you so much! Could you send me the name of the ebay store?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Hiya,
The bobbins were on www.kittyshacks.com.I bought the gross for $27.95. It's been a few years for the needles and I don't remember what store it was.

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM

I have the 1600 on a frame, and I use organ needles HLx5 size 14 DP and 11 DP. I get them from my Janome dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

great prices on Organ needles:

http://www.ctsusa.com/_e/dept/21/Hou...ne_Needles.htm
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I use Allbrand for my needles for my Juki. I know I broke a lot of needles when I started using it. Ok I still break needles but not as many. :oops: :oops: I know there are places that are a little cheaper but I get such good service from them. My needles get here in two or three days.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Please make sure that you tighten everything on the machine with a screw driver (even the needle holder!). On some frames they manage to shake themselves (screws) loose easily and cause needle breakage. Sounds like this might the problem. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Thank you everyone! I have ordered more needles, size 16 (I had size 14). I'll probably go ahead and order size 14 also.

I managed to finish my quilt on the frame! The tension overall looked amazingly good when I was done - minus a few small places that I can fix (not total birdnests, minor glitches, which made me happy). It turned out, I had a lot of small pieces of thread in the bobbin case - and LastGrandma, yes, the needle screw kept coming loose, so I kept an eye on that.

Yay! It's fun working with the frame - when it goes well, of course!

Thank you all for your help. Now, to the next one...well, that's got to wait until after the holiday weekend...