Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600 - thread issues >

Janome 1600 - thread issues

Janome 1600 - thread issues

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM

So, last year, I started to make a quilt for my husband and I. He requested one as "big as possible." So (who knows why) I decided to listen to him and make a King size quilt (120 in by 120 in) - Eleanor Burns' Cornerstones pattern, which I really like -- greens and browns. But the thing is so big and mysterious that it's like the Loch Ness Monster.

I **had** to get a Janome 1600 just to quilt it....and this is the first real project I've done with the machine. :) I started that a few nights ago, and everything was going fine. I got almost half of it done, and then the needle broke! I turned it over and I had a few feed of birds' nests on the back (but all the rest was fine). I told myself to stay calm! It took another day or two of fiddling, and I got the tension and everything just right. I started again. Everything was going fine and I almost got to the half-way mark. Then my thread started unwinding (Signature thread?). I tried some Coats and Clark which looks almost the same, but now that just keeps breaking.

I'm trying to stay calm. I think if I say enough that I'm staying calm that I will stay calm. ;-)

Does anybody have any suggestions? I don't want to get too frustrated with this when I'm just first learning how to use the machine.

Does anybody have any exact suggestions of combos of needles/thread that the machine likes? I just don't get it -- I have about 6 feet by 6 feet of quilting that's just fine, and now it gets finicky. I've cleaned, re-threaded, dusted, tried new thread, adjusted bobbin and thread tension...everything's fine now (bird nest and tension wise at least by appearance of the stitching) but the thread just breaks.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Could your upper thread be jumping off the uptake lever? This can happen especially if you are sewing at a fast speed. When this happens you will get a huge thread nest...ask me how I know!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM

Is it possible that the eye of the needle is defective, in that it might have a slight sharp edge that "cuts" the thread. I can't tell how many times you have changed the needle, since the problem started. You most likely know that there is an online group for home frame machine quilters where they troubleshoot for each other. They recommend Inspira topstitching needles to each other, because they have a large eye that is kind to thread.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:40 PM

The group that I mentioned is [email protected]
I've learned that your Janome 1600 is the same machine as the Pfaff hobby grandquilter. Most of the members of the yahoo group have their machine on a 10' frame.
Shelley
Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 PM

Try putting some sewers aid on the thread. I often have dry/weak spots in Coats & Clark thread and the sewers aid really seems to help. Also try a new needle--1 size larger.

You don't mention which model Janome 1600 you have. Some of those take the round shank needles so it might need to be turned just a hair.

It is also possible that when your needle broke, it put a bur on the bobbin case or knocked your machine out of time.