Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Long do your Quilts Take? >

How Long do your Quilts Take?

How Long do your Quilts Take?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM

of course I realize that is a hugely loaded ??. Do you work on multiples at same time? Once you start, do you become kind of OCD about finishing? As I've mentioned in a few of my posts I love the thrill of the finish line. Therefore, I do mostly easy stuff. I want to challenge myself to something more complicated but also dont want to get bored and have it sit for years (yep this *could* happen!! lol).. I generally like to do a quilt (if larger) over the period of several days, maybe a week. But again, my twin size quilts have been very easy, large block type projects. I'm doing a nautical quilt for my oldest son and using a Moda sailboat panel in middle with 5" blocks around it.... Should go fast, altho I'm not real inspired to work on it! Want to try a pinwheel or something with triangles, next...

Oh and VERY stupid long arm ?? not that I'll ever own, but..... I"m curious.... Are these programmed to stitch a certain pattern or do you still do all the design work (by moving the arm)? Again, sorry... have always wondered!! Thanks
Leigh
Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 AM

I have put together tops in one or two days; they were like your tops, large blocks, easy squares. Or they can take several days if I am practicing/learning a new design.

Handquilting is my time consumer. I do simple handquilting; straight lines, in-the-ditch, or just wandering. That could take as long as 3-4 months, depending on the size and mood I am in.

As far as your long arm question...I do not have one either, but my understanding is usually they can do both.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Many long arms come with computer programs, but they are very expensive. I ordered mine without a computer, one can be put on later if I so desire. Stitch regulators and computers definitely cut down on your learning curve, however even those take time to conquer.

Oh, in answer to your first question, I usually have more than one top going at a time. I swear I have ADD as I get bored easily on one and switch to working on another, depends on my mood!!! LOL! :lol:
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Leigh- I never thought I would have a longarm either. Actually, what I have is a mid-arm Juki and a GMQ frame- but I'm working up to it...

The computerized doodad that does the stitching for you cost about 5K- My whole rig, including the machine was 2K. So, the answer to that is NO. I have the option of buying a laser light attachment for all over patterns, but I would still move the machine, following the paper pattern with my laser light. I prefer free-motion. I am not that experienced, I'm working on my fourth quilt, and this is the first one I've drawn a specific pattern on for some parts. The entire machine moves over the quilt- It's on a carriage that has wheels that go forward and backward and another set that go back and forth, so it's very easy to move around.

When you go to a local quilt show or store, see if they have one set up you can try- I warn you though- the dreaming starts then.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I have five going right now. 3 are being hand quilted and I have one I am doing applique blocks and one I am piecing. I can't tell you how long it takes because I work on so many at one time, to keep from getting bored with one, because it takes a while to hand quilt.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM

When I machine quilt, I can make several tops a week. But then...for handquilting, takes a couple of weeks to handstitch the pieces, then 1-2 months to handquilt. I don't work so it is easier for me to find time. I also have 3-4 projects going so I don't get bored. A few UFO's and lots of projects ready to be started. LOL Sounds like we all have this in common.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 AM

I'm glad to see i'm not alone....i can make the top pretty quickly
then when it's time to quilt it, i may leave it for a while and start another one. i did that last year and for some reason when i was "cleaning out" my fabrics i found three baby quilts i "forgot" to put together! Now i try to only have two going at a time. I like to machine quilt because of the speed. I don'y have the patience for hand quilting although i do hand sew my bindings with invisible thread so they look better.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Ages....

I am very new to quilting and it is slow going!

But I love it!!!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 AM

I usually make very easy patterns. I cut one day, sew the top one day and do easy side to side freemotion quilting (on my Tin Lizzie 18) in a few hours. I bind all by machine, usually wide bindings as it hides a world of mistakes. I guess I'm a hacker but then my family and friends have all the home-made quilts they want to keep them warm. It keeps me happy and off the streets!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Ages, especially when I spend so much time on here.