Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Do You Wait to Get on Your Long-Armer's Schedule?

How Long Do You Wait to Get on Your Long-Armer's Schedule?

I was wondering what the "average" expected wait is? One LA lady that is very busy both professionally and with family gave me an estimate of 4 weeks for 2 semi-custom quilt jobs. Another lady that is retired and doesn't have other significant commitments gave me an estimate of 6 to 7 weeks for a quilt she would be using a template for and it is only small lap size (I'm thinking she doesn't spend a lot of time doing the quilting and has a lot of backlog).

Just wondering if this is the norm. I know I have heard some people waiting months for their quilts to be finished. I just couldn't sign up for that I don't think

Several in this area are 4 to 6 months from when you book in.

As a result, many register their quilts for a date and then make them accordingly.
    For me, I don't care for that, as I don't want the pressure of the deadline.
    And from the other perspective, once I have it finished, I want it LAQ ASAP too.

You're the one who has to make the decision as to how long you are willing to wait ... or whether you need to look for someone else.

Regardless, what is most important IMHO is that when they give you a date to start and finish, that they will meet that date and not delay it further.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you thought about sending it off to shops that LAQ like Missouri Star Quilt Co. I know they long arm. There are others that do as well. I would be very careful, though, who I sent it to. They would have to be a very well established business.

I have a quilt at my LQS now and it's been there for about 6 months ... hopefully I'll have it back by the end of this month.

I've never waited months for LA, just a few weeks. There are so many talented LA quilters right here on the board, that I would never waste time looking anywhere else. Many of them post photos of their work here and also have many who can testify to their skills!

My DSIL is my LAQ and I know at the moment she's backed up due to everyone bringing in their quilts for Christmas gifts. She also works fulltime at another job so she does this at night and on weekends. Had one lady drive from 2 hours away and brought her 6 quilts and wants all of them by Nov 15th. Since I get the "family" discount, my quilts get pushed to the back burner, but I've never waited over a month for one.

I AM a LA'r...and I am beginning to feel the "Christmas crunch" a little early this year...I guess everyone is trying to get their presents early. Most of us do try to give very good and prompt service...if we don't, no repeat business. Mine usually book about 4-6 weeks out; and I won't accept any orders for Christmas delivery after November 10th this year. If there's any time left after I'm done with customer orders, then I work on family stuff that didn't get done early in the year. So good luck to you all!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

A few weeks really isn't that bad to wait. My LQS has 3 women who do their quilting, so I usually only wait about 2-3 weeks. Others take several months to get a quilt back from them.

It depends on the time of year. Some won't take anymore "for Christmas gift" quilts after a certain time in the fall.

piney

I don't think 4 weeks for 2 quilts sounds bad at all. I've only sent one out and that was to Charisma and it didn't take long (don't remember exactly) even with mailing it both ways and all the beautiful work she did on it!!!!

I just wanted to clarify that I don't think 4 weeks is too long, especially a talented quilter. I do think that 8 weeks or more (some people mention 6 months!!!) is a long time. I am just speaking in generalitites as well. Not specifically about before Christmas because I know that is a very heavy period of activity.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I am a little impatient, but if I were to send out a quilt I couldn't wait several months for it. I haven't done it yet, but would be ecstatic to have an answer of 4-6 weeks return time. That would include quilting other than FMQ, because that I could do myself.

My longarmer has super quick turn around time. She usually has my quilts back to me in 2 weeks or less but during the holiday season it's 3 weeks or less.

Just more reason why I make all my quilts - start to finish. I don't trust anyone but myself. If I don't do a good job, it is all on me. I am not a patient person and hate waiting for anything. Therefore I do all my own quilting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    In our area its usually 4/6 weeks ....she already is about full for the Christmas season.

If I know I am giving a quilt for Christmas I book my "slot/space" in June or July. Most of the talented Long Arm Pros are booked solid by now with quilts that must be delivered before the holidays.

I have had about 6 quilts quilted by my LAQ. It takes about 2 months for me to get them back. The LAQ has a full time job. I am told that she will do faster work once she retires and has more time for quilting. When I am in a hurry, I do the quilting myself on my Bernina.

I wouldn't wait longer than a month unless its christmas season, and then you should also realize that this time of year shortly before christmas is when LA get more busy with all the christmas gift

My longarmer books 6-8 months out. She's a friend and is well worth going to, so I book as soon as I know for sure the quilt will be made. For instance, as soon as the Hoffman Challenge fabric was revealed last month, I booked my quilt. The fabric isn't available yet and the quilt design isn't done yet, but my entry will be quilted in April.

I never leave quilts with her for months and months. I take them to her when they are scheduled. Why should they sit in a bin at her house when they can sit in one at mine? That makes no sense to me at all. If she's ready for it a bit early, she calls me to see if I'm ready for her to start on it. If I cancel, she easily fills the time slot. She has over 200 customers and quilts full-time. The whole system meets the needs of both of us very well and I couldn't ask for a better longarmer.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Just curious, if anyone is willing to share....how much do most LAQ's charge for a quilt? I know there's a huge difference between someone just stippling vs a computerized or detailed design. A friend of mine took a king size log cabin quilt to a LAQ and never asked them up front what they would charge. They did a nice job of FMQ feathers throughout, but charged her $1200. I can't believe someone would take a quilt to be done and have absolutely no clue how much it might cost them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
    Just curious, if anyone is willing to share....how much do most LAQ's charge for a quilt? I know there's a huge difference between someone just stippling vs a computerized or detailed design. A friend of mine took a king size log cabin quilt to a LAQ and never asked them up front what they would charge. They did a nice job of FMQ feathers throughout, but charged her $1200. I can't believe someone would take a quilt to be done and have absolutely no clue how much it might cost them.
    It's rather hard to say what "most" LAQs charge, because it depends on sooo many factors. How big is the quilt. How dense is the pattern. Is it hand or machine guided. What area of the country are you in - prices quoted in Seattle (for example) would be much higher than rural Arkansas, simply because the cost of living is higher. How skilled and in demand is the quilter - I know of a few LAQs who are so good at quilting, they are able to be very choosy about their clients and they charge a lot more.

Your best bet for pricing in YOUR area is to call around and ask for pricing info. Most quilters will give you a basic quote of cents per inch for pantos or edge-to-edge, and another rate for custom quilting. Some quilters will have pricing info on their websites, also.

$1200 seems awfully steep to me. The most I ever paid was $350 for a machine-guided panto on a 110" x 110" quilt.

My guy calls me about every 6 months. You can bring any number of quilts. He does amazing custom work but will do edge to edge. I asked him and he said one woman brought him 15 one time. I took in 5 but that is about my max. I currently have a closet of 16 ready for a long arm quilter and am about ready to talk to another local who is in my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I've never waited months for LA, just a few weeks. There are so many talented LA quilters right here on the board, that I would never waste time looking anywhere else. Many of them post photos of their work here and also have many who can testify to their skills!
    Thanks for stating this. I'm one of the LAer's listed on the board & do post pics of my work also. Currently there's no waiting 'cuz I just finished all the quilts that are at the quilt show this weekend. Everyone was concentrating on it, now they'll start thinking Christmas & I'm sure I'll be busy again. But I don't anticipate more than a 2 week turn around for anyone.
    As far as price, we all charge by the square inch. Most all are pretty standard at .015 per sq for an all-over meandering type of quilting. The prices vary from that point on. Semi-custom & custom is where the prices really differ. It depends on the skill level of the LAer & how backlogged they are. $1200 is way too steep for anything but a full custom quilt job. It must have been show quality when it was finished.
    Look here on the board for all the LAer's. Take a look at their postings & see which one's style fits what you're thinking of putting on your quilt & send them a PM to get the ball rolling. All of us will respond asap.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Different long armers, different time frames. My favorite takes more time because she's in high demand. She's excellent and I will wait 4 weeks for her. Others are 2 weeks and I send my easy quilts to them. But my hard quilts that I want custom go to Tracy because Tracy does awesome work and I know I will love the job.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I think it all depends on the quilter. I have sent a quilt to a LA for the first time the first week of September and when mentioned early October, she almost returned the quilt to me then and there. She said early November at the soonest. I have seen her work and choose to adjust my schedule. I suspect, like you, that the quilter has either over booked herself or has a backlog. My quilt is more than lap size but less than a single. Since it is now mid October I am starting to get anxious to see my quilt. Patience, Patience, Patience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast