Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Back Up Sewing Machine! >

New Back Up Sewing Machine!

New Back Up Sewing Machine!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:20 PM

Default New Back Up Sewing Machine!

So I broke my beloved Husqvarna - Because I have three quilt tops ready to quilt!

I'm off for all of next week, the sewing machine repair store is closed until January, and there was no way I was going a week without sewing. I live for these two weeks to be able to do nothing but sew and have ZERO guilty feelings about how I should be outside enjoying the weather (mind you, for the first time in years, it is +8 in Ottawa LOL)

So I sent my dad to Walmart on Boxing Day (kind of like Black Friday for the Americans!) and he called me and read out all the types of sewing machines they had LOL I chose a Brother SQ9130 and I have to admit I am VERY pleased with how well it sews. I was certainly not expecting it to sew as nicely / quietly as it does for a machine that cost less than $300! (For those of you that have the embroidered sewing machine like I do, you know what I am talking about!)

It does NOT have automated everything like I am used to (cutting the thread, the presser foot doing down automatically, etc.) and it took me about 5 minutes (and yes, I finally read the manual) to figure out why I kept getting an error message and it wouldn't sew. Turns out you have to MANUALLY put the presser foot down! LMAO ...

It is also a quilting sewing machine, but I haven't got that far yet (although it did come with a walking foot!). If anyone is looking for a recommendation for a sewing machine, I would highly recommend this one. I know I've only been sewing on it for 2 hours, but seriously, it is a great little machine!

I actually find it easier to maintain a 1/4 inch seam with this machine than my Topaz! Who knows, maybe I'll just use this to sew my quilt tops together and then do the embroidery with my big one!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Glad to hear you got such a nice machine. Many of us here do enjoy our Brothers. Even the lower end ones from Walmart. I know I do! Happy sewing!!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I don't blame you one bit! I don't think that model is available here. I haven't seen it. I really like the Brother on the shelf machines. They sew great.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't blame you one bit! I don't think that model is available here. I haven't seen it. I really like the Brother on the shelf machines. They sew great.
I like that phrase...brother on the shelf.....like elf on the shelf........seriously, I have one too,(reasonably priced brother) along with a pricier bl and personally sorry I invested in the $$$$$POJ one! But that's my personal opinion.....
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Brother machines are very user-friendly. Enjoy your new addition.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM

That's funny ---------brother on a shelf. Didn't they have Munch on a shelf too?
Old 12-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

so happy for you, I have 3 brothers I have now and am very happy with them.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 Brothes myself and love them all
have fun with it.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Sorry for your troubles but glad you now have a machine that does most of what you want! Miss Ottawa! Didn't make it there this past Sept. Hopefully next one!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 AM

On this note with buying a sewing machine at Walmart, are there any at our U.S. stores I should stay away from? I'm wanting a small machine to place at one end of my cutting table just to add the binding to the quilt. My machines are located at a corner of my room so there's a wall at the back of each of them which makes it a bit difficult to add the binding. Its not impossible but would love to be able to lay the quilt out without having to roll it up to shove it under the machine. I use my old trusty Viking D1 for my piecing these days as it has the auto thread cutter and auto up/down and needle down. Would still like to find a machine that has at least the auto needle up/down if possible.

Thanks all.