Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Brother Innov-IS NQ1300PRW any tips? >

New Brother Innov-IS NQ1300PRW any tips?

New Brother Innov-IS NQ1300PRW any tips?

Old 01-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Default New Brother Innov-IS NQ1300PRW any tips?

Just returned to quilting after a 20 yr. break (kids!). So, it was time for a new machine. Today dh took me to get my new machine. I haven't unboxed it yet and my familiarization class isn't until Feb 13! Any tips or suggestions to help me get started?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 AM

Take the time to read the instruction manual that comes with your machine.

When I bought my PC420PRW I was amazed to find that it came with an extensive instruction manual that covered everything from basics like winding a bobbin and threading the machine, to more complicated sewing techniques. Reading it was like taking a sewing class! Easily the best sewing machine manual I've ever seen.

have fun with your new machine!

Rob
Old 01-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Brother packs a lot of information in their manuals. And the whole thing is downloadable on the internet for free if you take the machine on a trip and forget the book. I know this. Enjoy your new machine, practice and play!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 AM

Congratulations!! Brother's are usually fairly easy to operate. I have the Laura Ashley Innovis NX-2000 and love it! I think yours has embroidery also though and I didn't need that. Definitely take the time to familiarize with your machine before the class and read the manual.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Congrats! My BFF has this machine and loves it.

Cari
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM

It's an awesome machine straight stitch nothing fancy but it's a workhouse. I do all my FAQ on it and you can't beat it
Old 01-09-2017, 04:10 AM

You might try YouTube....when I was looking at the Bernina 770QE there were a ton of YouTube videos...from cleaning it, free motion quilting, changing presser feet and tons more. I'll bet you can find something on the Brother.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 AM

Welcome back to quilting, and congratulations on a new machine! I would open her up and get started. As previous commenters said, read your manual and see how much you can learn from the book. Then when you do have the class, you won't be overwhelmed with everything you are learning. Don't be afraid to make notes in your book, or put post it notes where you have questions. If your class is one on one, you'll be able to move through the materials more quickly, if it's a group class, you won't feel like you're getting left behind. A bonus is you will also gain confidence in finding the answers to your questions in your manual.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 AM

Curious. I read if the thread sensor detects no thread, machine will not sew. But what if you want to sew without thread (like marking paper pieces).
Old 01-09-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Up4BigChal View Post
It's an awesome machine straight stitch nothing fancy but it's a workhouse. I do all my FAQ on it and you can't beat it
I think you're thinking of the PQ series machines (PQ1300 or PQ1500) which are Straight stitch only machines.

Brother came out with a new series last year which they called their NQ series. They are are not straight stitch only.

The new NQ1300PRW is the machine the OP purchased. It does a whole bunch of decorative stitches in addition to straight, zigzag and utility stitches.