Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New challenge >

New challenge

New challenge

Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 AM

Eleanor Burns uses a Havel cutter or I believe the less expensive one is called the Sew Easy cutter, they are the cutter/ruler combo she hasn't been able to do a lot of cutting since her injury last year. Of course being one of the Accu Cut reps she uses that more lately especially since the electric version came out since she doesn't have to crank it. I know she had these on sale for $499.99. I would like to have one that I could use but with the cost of the dies and everything else this is cost prohibitive for me, I like the fact that you can use her 's at the store.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:18 AM

Wishing for you a solution to your tendon problems, as well as someone to help you!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 AM

Make sure you keep a sharp blade in whatever cutter you currently use. Also only cut a bit at a time. I try to work on one quilt while the next is in the planning stage, I hate the cutting part and whenever I can twist her arm, my sister-in-law will cut for me but I only see her once a year LOL. But keep a sharp blade and only cut a little at a time.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
For strips, regular blocks, I can't say enough for the ruler/rotary cutter combo from Fiskars. It is a 6 x24" ruler with cutter, all one piece. It cost about $24 with a Joann 60% coupon. ($60 regular price). You barely touch on the cutter as you pull or push it (2 layers) and I have cut through 8 layers before. Don't know how I lived without it!!
We have a lady in our guild who lost her hand in a auto accident. She used this type of combo. it is some other brand tho and I cannot remember the name.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
Here is another video to watch. To me, since you don't have to grip it, it might cause less strain on tendons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_VB4q4ywI
Interesting concept..but a bit pricey...but this might be a good investment along with the holder on the ruler...
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

never saw a quilt/embroidery machine, who makes it and what does it look like????
Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by laurac View Post
I find myself faced with a series of tendon injuries and repairs for my arms. When the latest surgery allows me to use my arm again I want to remove or lessen the strain of some quilting tasks. A got a combo quilt/embroidery machine so I can machine quilt some of the quilts.
Now I am looking for ways to lessen the strain of cutting. That was a rough tasks after the last surgery. I am considering a cutting machine but money is a big factor. I'm considering the cameo silhouette or the brothers scann cut. I like the idea of no expensive dies to buy. What do you think?
Any ideas to lessen the strain would be most appreciated. I quilt for relaxation and fun!
There is a website www.fussycutter.com, that I have bought quilt kits from. Her quilt kits are very accurate, and her prices are wonderful. (I can afford them on a fixed income) I tell you this because she also offers a cutting service that my friend has used, and she was thrilled, she has a quick turn around time, and you can just sit down to sew. No cutting. Maybe this could be helpful?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:17 AM

Oh, I'm so glad for the OP for starting this thread and the wonderful advice given. I have a GO with lots of dies, but it doesn't cover everything and cutting is my Achilles' heel. Madamekelly, I've contacted the website you posted and hope to hear from her soon.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
Oh, I'm so glad for the OP for starting this thread and the wonderful advice given. I have a GO with lots of dies, but it doesn't cover everything and cutting is my Achilles' heel. Madamekelly, I've contacted the website you posted and hope to hear from her soon.
Thank you everyone! You've given me so many good ideas. I'm optimistic now that I will be able to continue enjoying quilting even though my tendons have become fickle. I see several thing I will want to add to my tools without breaking the bank.
And most of all, thanks for your encouragement and friendship!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM

I also use the Fiskas ruler/cutter combo 6x24" It makes cutting a lot easier. Since you now have an embroidery machine, you might want to trade someone cutting fabric for you in exchange for you making them quilt labels, etc. If your lqs has a bulletin board you might want to advertise it there.
Good luck.