Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New year/ new challenge >

New year/ new challenge

New year/ new challenge

Old 01-02-2016, 06:31 AM

Default New year/ new challenge

Ok, instead of a resolution that usually lasts about two weeks(at least in my case) let's do a personal quilting challenge. What have you not done because you are "afraid" of it? Curves - like drunkards path, hard patterns like DWR, paper piecing, etc. I have challenged myself each year, mostly so I don't get in a rut and it helps, plus I then feel good about accomplishing something new...even if it's only a potholder, but I DID IT, and can do it again without fear..so what's for this year? Mine is a bit off center- machine embroidery- not something I'm really into, machine is capable of doing it, so I'm really going to try to "get into it". Signed up for a class at dealer....we'll see. It will be different for me.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:01 AM

I've never done English Paper piecing and I'm going to do a La Passacaglia when
i finish my current project. I have all the stuff.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 AM

Bought myself a new ruler, new cutting blades and organized my sewing room. Hopefully, I will get motivated to do some quilting. Last week I salvaged a nursing smock from my neighbors trash because it was 100% cotton and made her a couple table topper mats.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 AM

My goals this year is to make MSQC Mountain and Shadow quilts and also work on my FMQ and actually quilt something bigger than a mug rug.I also have 2 baby quilts that I know of now.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 AM

I make it a point to learn something new every years regardless of fear. Evertime I take a class at a quilt show I make sure its something I have never done before. I find the more you make your self do new things, the less fearful everthing becomes
Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 AM

Finishing up many UFOs, PIGs and planned quilts with fabrics I've purchased is my priority this year. I have 2 mystery quilt tops done that I'm not crazy about, so I will practice my FMQ on those. My FMQ skills are sorely lacking and I need all the practice I can get.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 AM

When it comes to crafty things, I am not afraid to try anything. My problem is that the things I haven't attempted are more complex and require some concentration to get going. I don't get enough much alone time, and get frequent interruptions, so I have put off trying some new things, thinking I will do it when I am on vacation. I hope to get to them one day. In the meantime, I do keep busy and usually have at least a couple of piecing or quilting things going.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:47 AM

My personal challenge for this year is not to run to the LQS and purchase backs. I plan on using the scraps and extra pieces for scrappy backs. I always seem to want to do a line of blocks and a fabric from the front for the back. It looks great but I end up running to the store. I'm trying to be more efficient.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 AM

Have my projects already on the shelf for 2016...........11 so far. One is a wedding ring quilt,one an Irish Chain, another is a 60 degree logcabin and yet another is a Jacqueline de Jonge paper pieced with curves. Have never done any of these before so I'm pushing myself a bit. I have done a paper pieced Jinny Beyer ......Crystal Star wallhanging and liked it but when I saw de Jonge's pattern just had to get it to try. Looked at the instructions and stepped back as I thought it more difficult than I was capable of doing but one of the quilters here told me not to worry so I'm taking her word on it and will try it. Have all the fabrics now too.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Judy Niemeyer Amazon Star (already cut, and let me tell you--the discipline needed for cutting, labeling, bagging all of the fabrics was already a challenge for me), a grey/black/white water color quilt, another FLW quilt and this time I will keep the black strips at the correct width. Organize all of my scraps ala Bonnie Hunter.

Non quilty projects are finishing the inside painting in Tarpon, laying hard flooring in my sewing room there, the hallway and kitchen, then cleaning and painting the outside. Have six weeks to finish those.

Last edited by Krisb; 01-02-2016 at 09:13 AM.