Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt suspension system for fmq questions >

Quilt suspension system for fmq questions

Quilt suspension system for fmq questions

Old 12-31-2015, 07:36 AM

Default Quilt suspension system for fmq questions

My mother had a sewing machine in a Singer cabinet in the 1960s but I have always had portable machines. For Christmas and my BD, I finally got a cabinet. It will make my FMQ easier. I read all the time about how great the quilt suspension systems are ( Leah Day, Patty Thompson, Jenoop, Here). Don't think I am snobbish, but I want my quilting room to be attractive to me. I don't think the PVC is attractive. I have a husband who does beautiful woodworking and we have an over abundance of black walnut so I wanted to have him make something to suspend the quilts. I have a window behind the cabinet that I don't want to block and so many of the QSS look like they would. I guess I don't really understand the function of the QSS so I was hoping those of you are are using them would help me out. Thanks in advance.

Long story, I know, but my questions are:
1. Does the whole quilt need to be suspended or just the 24-30" behind the needle?
2. If you put the horizontal bar low, about 12" above the table and back 24-30" with some slack in front of the bar, would that work?
3. In the case of #2, would you need to use short bungee cords with clamps or would draping over the bar be adequate?
4. How about a suspended system for holding the whole quilt, similar to a rack for drying sweaters. Would something like that work?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 AM

Your quilt doesn't have to be suspended. I'm also not quite sold about suspending
my quilt...but I might have to go that route anyway. My sewing room is more
functional than anything else. Anyway, what's most important is that your quilt
is supported on all sides. You could put tables all around or maybe ask your DH
to build something on hinges that you can let down when you're not quilting.
I put one banquet table in front of my sewing machine plus my big ironing table.
Then I have another table on the left side.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I agree with EasyPeezy. You just need support that can be temporarily set up to your left and behind your machine. That is how I have quilted for 20 years which my Bernina 1530 sits in my old Singer desk.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I want my sewing area as nice looking as the rest of my home so I agree with you there. My friend tried the suspension and it lasted about three quilts and down it came. It was a nuisance. She was constantly re suspending the quilt to get to the area she wanted. I think if you were doing very detailed close quilting in one area at a time it would be a help.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 PM

I use a homemade quilt suspension system for large quilts when I'm FMQ and also binding. I don't use it for anything lap size or smaller. I find it comes in very handy for quilts that are double bed size and up. I use it for the part of my quilt that is to my left when I'm facing the machine and also at the back to keep the quilt from falling off the table which would create drag.

Rob
Old 01-02-2016, 07:52 AM

when I do FMQ I just lay/roll my (king) quilt up and lid of my cabinet supports my quilt. Is that what you are talking about? When I am laying out my quilt, I spread it on floor and see how it will look or on bed. My house is small so I have learned to work with my small work area.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Littledreamdevil View Post
when I do FMQ I just lay/roll my (king) quilt up and lid of my cabinet supports my quilt. Is that what you are talking about? When I am laying out my quilt, I spread it on floor and see how it will look or on bed. My house is small so I have learned to work with my small work area.
No, a suspension system is used to actually hold part of your quilt up off the surface of your sewing machine table in order to help prevent drag during FMQ that is caused when parts of the quilt get caught on the edges of the table, or start to hang over the edge.

The system I made for myself consists of a salvaged heavy-duty metal tripod/light pole at the rear left hand side of my machine table and on the front left of my machine table a rolling stand with extension arm that I also use for my iPad when reading in bed. I strung a bungee cord between the two of them and bought a couple of large ratcheting spring clamps from Amazon.com for $6. I just clamp the part or parts of the quilt that I need to be out of my way and drag free to the bungee or the arm of the reading stand. I can reach the front clamp without getting up from my sewing machine when I need to rearrange things. The stand at the back of my sewing table is mainly used to prevent the quilt from sliding off the back of the table so I only use it when I'm doing double bed sized or larger quilts.

My sewing space is really small, too--it's crammed in the double doorway between the trunk room and the guest bedroom in my 100 year old house. The suspension system really makes a difference for me when trying to manage a large quilt in my tiny space.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-02-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: posted before finished thought