Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric line is 16.50 a yard. >

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

New fabric line is 16.50 a yard.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM

I have paid 16.00 per yard one time in my entire 45 years. I bought a yard and a half of velvet. I used that to line the drawers in the china cabinet i built my mother. If it hadn't of been for my mom (something she had wanted all her life), I would have never spent that much. would have used a velveteen or some such. There would have to be a significant increase in income to even consider it. and even then.........
Old 06-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Sorry, but all 'organic' means is that it is treated with non-synthetic pesticides, which can be just as toxic if not more than non-synthetic. (See for example, 'Choosing organic pesticides over synthetic pesticides may not effectively mitigate environmental risk in soybeans,' Bahlai et al, 2010). Natural products are not uniformly safer, and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Welcome to my world - we have paid $16.50 per yard (or more) for fabric in quilt shops in Canada for years. It is nasty but what can you do? Well, you can order from Connecting Threads (I do) or go to the USA for a trip and stock up (I do that too). Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM

I'm with you. So many people associate 'organic' and 'natural' with healthy.

If they get carried away with the organic/natural business, I remind them that arsenic can be both organic and natural, but it isn't healthy! (Arsenic occurs naturally in apple seeds whether the apples are grown organically or not.)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM

I'm not about to even look at fabric priced that high! LOL! It's just not worth it!

Jeanette
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 AM

That is nuts, no matter how beautiful the fabric is and even if it is grown organically. I'm all for organic food, when I am absolutely sure it IS 100% organic (which is actually pretty difficult to ensure) but let's face it. We can't eat the fabric, and as another poster said, unless one is using organic thread, batting, backing, starch or sizing when sewing the fabric, and then washing it only in organic detergent, the whole purpose of organic fabric - whatever that might be - is defeated.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
According to their website, it's both grown and processed organically. That would certainly increase the production cost. It would also reduce the chemical exposure of workers at all points in the process.

http://www.birchfabrics.com/help_answer.asp?ID=20#250

If I were making a gift for my sister, who is very socially and environmentally conscious, I would certainly consider buying this fabric. It's expensive, but it would show that I respect her beliefs. It's not for everyone, but it's nice to have the option available. Thanks for bringing this manufacturer to my attention!
According to the site above, this is made in India. And they are hoping to get it grown and processed in the USA.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 AM

I really wanted to buy Cloud 9s Charley Harper fabric last fall and that was the price! I just can't justify spending that much. I was jealous when I saw a blogger using yardage to make dresses for her toddler! Nice dress! LOL!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 AM

I am with you I would not pay that for organic cotton I would just buy the regular and take it home and wash the chemicals out of it
Old 06-20-2014, 04:48 AM

We have to consider what goes into pricing. Many things are cheaper in the USA because our government (TAXPAYERS) does not pay for so many things , for example health care and higher education. Although it seems like many many people look to the government (taxpayers) to provide so many things, compared to lots of other countries it does not.

There was a discussion about costs of higher education on one of my groups a few years ago, and I came to realize that those countries which provide "Free" health care and college, have much higher prices in general. As we all know nothing is free....the question is WHO pays, and WHEN. I can't recall which country we were discussing, but while they had astronomical fabric prices, college was "Free". And the gals from there decried our college costs, while we Americans decried their fabric costs.

This is NOT(!!!!!!) a political discussion....just a statement of differences.....I'm NOT saying which is "BEST". It's just a statement of facts as "I" see them. Maybe some of you who have such high fabric costs would check in with what your government (Taxpayers) provides for it's citizens.