Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new forum member... question about custom printed quilt blocks >

new forum member... question about custom printed quilt blocks

new forum member... question about custom printed quilt blocks

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Default new forum member... question about custom printed quilt blocks

My son in law recently started a business printing fabrics (t-shirts mainly). The machine prints directly to any fabric run through it. I want to experiment and print some custom pieces for my first attempt at quilting (celebrating the birth of my little granddaughter... family crest, baby pictures etc).

What fabrics would you recommend other than blank t-shirts (i would like to keep costs down as much as possible)?

For a beginner, what size blocks should i get printed?

I have a Singer 2263 sewing machine... will this be adequate for the job?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I would recommend 100% cotton fabric, especially for a new quilter. T-shirt fabric is stretchy and therefore much harder to work with. Muslin (bleached or unbleached) would be a good choice for experimenting. You should be able to piece on your machine, but quilting may be difficult because of the small throat space. People either hate or love that little machine; it may be a matter of quality control that some have problems and others don't. If you haven't used the machine yet it might help to read the reviews on Amazon and Walmart and see what others have learned in terms of setting the machine up and setting the tension.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I agree with dunster. I have made quilts from t-shirts and you need to iron on fusible to the back so the knit won't move during quilting. Go to your local quilt shop and explain what you are planning on making. They would have the best quality 100% cotton solid color fabrics including white. I would stay away from JoAnn's since most of the fabrics they sell are second quality. Good Luck !! Sounds like a fun project.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Buy white PFD (prepared for dying) 100% cotton fabric. You can use a 40% off coupon at JoAnn's. I think it runs about $7 /yd. Don't use the cheapest muslin. Look at the fabrics, and touch them to choose the one you want.

There are ways to prepare your own, but I haven't done it myself. I'm sure your husband's business has the equipment to make the print last.