Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron >

New Iron

New Iron

Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM

Default New Iron

I'm out to to get a new Iron, and not sure which one to get. Anyone got any suggestions for me? It seems so many of the new ones are so heavy, and that I don't want. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM

I have purchased a number of different irons over the years...some high end...$50-70 each, but found that none of them have lasted all that long. So now I buy cheap ones and when they quit in a year or two I don't feel so bad.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

We have discussed irons lots of times. Have you tried the search function? I have a black and decker digital advantage which I like
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

I just bought a T-FEL At walmart and I like it. It is light weight and has a surface that says it won't stick. Check it out.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Shark at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I was afraid not to have a back up. I wanted a cheap one but this is the cheapest one they had. They use to carry cheap ones, not anymore. I hate the way the new stores are operated.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Anything but a Rowenta!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM

I have had Rowenta's, black & deckers, etc......... Personally they all last about the same amount of time nowadays..... Some like steam, others don't, personal preference. I found a small iron at Habitat for Humanity for $2 that is a much older model and works like a dream. I use that for retreats, etc. right now I have a Rowenta that is not steaming ....so I might be looking again real soon too.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

I went to a quilt retreat last week and we needed more irons. I stopped at General Dollar and bought four $9 irons. Everyone at the retreat loved them, they got hot, produced lots of steam and had no auto shut off. I have no idea how long one will last but for $9 so what. There were different brands of the $9 iron at different stores. One was Rival and one was Continental. I bought two each and they worked the same. I kept one for myself. General Dollar stores are popping up here everywhere. I have one on each end of my road. LOL
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM

I bought the dry Iron at www.vermontcountrystore.com it isn't heavy and I don't use steam very often but If I need it I use an old fashion sprinkler. I find the ones with steam holes tend to leave water spots anyway and sometimes water stains. I love my Iron.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 PM

I've found the cheaper Black and Decker irons are great. Mine was under $20 and has lasted as long as my fellow quilters who have spent 3-4 times as much.