Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron >

New iron

New iron

Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM

I just bought a lovely new Rowenta Focus iron. It is just wonderful; no spitting or leaking; at least so far. But I think a lot of people do not give their iron proper time to heat up or steam before the iron is ready. It only takes a minute or two, so it is worth it to wait. Also following directions on filling the water chamber correctly and using the recommended type of water is important, too. Emptying the iron after use will prevent rusty water and keep the iron in proper order.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:25 AM

My daughter bought me a Rowenta for Christmas. It's great, I still use it everyday. I did have to send it in for repair during the warranty period and it leaks from time to time. After I had it for a while....I read the reports that they are prone to catch on fire. I have to remember to unplug every time after I use it.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 PM

We picked up a new Oliso TG1100, 1800 Watt, Purple iron tonight from JoAnn's. They had a 40% off on all irons. I see that the jury is still out on which is best. Never seen the purple one anywhere before. I know that this is an older thread but just wanted to tell people about the sales going on right now.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
We picked up a new Oliso TG1100, 1800 Watt, Purple iron tonight from JoAnn's. They had a 40% off on all irons. I see that the jury is still out on which is best. Never seen the purple one anywhere before. I know that this is an older thread but just wanted to tell people about the sales going on right now.

Thank you, gonna try to go tomorrow. Do you mind sharing their prices?
Old 11-25-2015, 04:06 AM

I got one as well and it was just under $100.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by dooder23 View Post
Thank you, gonna try to go tomorrow. Do you mind sharing their prices?
At the store that I went to, the Purple one, not the Blue one, was $107.99 vs $179.99. The other iron there that I thought would be a good deal was the Rowenta DG5030 Pro Iron Steam Iron Station. This lists at $199.99 and with 40% off would be $119.99. They didn't have the Oliso Pro in stock, but I think that I would have liked the 30 minute shut down timer vs the 8 min shut down timer and the little larger ironing area for just a few more dollars.

Have fun shopping for YOUR perfect iron.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 AM

Do you want steam or not? That was my biggest consideration. I have a Continental Dry Iron for no steam work (it's great for fusibles because it has a solid plate, so there are no little spots where it didn't fuse). It gets hot, stays hot, and doesn't have an automatic shut-off. I got mine on Amazon.com for around $40. For steam, I recommend the Reliable Velocity, because the water tank and the sole plate heaters are separate. Also, they have a very good warranty policy.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM

I've had an Oliso for almost a year now. Mine has never leaked (except to operator error ) and I like it really well. I did buy the top of the line iron. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
At the store that I went to, the Purple one, not the Blue one, was $107.99 vs $179.99. The other iron there that I thought would be a good deal was the Rowenta DG5030 Pro Iron Steam Iron Station. This lists at $199.99 and with 40% off would be $119.99. They didn't have the Oliso Pro in stock, but I think that I would have liked the 30 minute shut down timer vs the 8 min shut down timer and the little larger ironing area for just a few more dollars.

Have fun shopping for YOUR perfect iron.
That didn't take long. We never added water to the purple one, but after thinking about it for a day we took the purple one back and bought the Pro Yellow one for a whopping $12 and some change more. The first store didn't have any of the Yellow ones in stock when we bought the purple one. While I worked today, the wife drove down to another city close by and found a yellow one. Longer time before shut off and a little larger ironing area. When the pricing was so close it was silly to buy the purple one.

My wife kept saying "this one will be just fine, I don't need that one". Then she paid the minuscule difference and saw the spec difference and now she is happy that she swapped them out.