Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to me Sewing Machine >

New to me Sewing Machine

New to me Sewing Machine

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Default New to me Sewing Machine

My husband bought off of ebay a Husqvarna Viking 500 Computer Sewing Machine. It didn't come with a manual or any of the feet and only one bobbin. I guess the guy either sold the feet separately or that was all he could find. I played around with some of the stitches and tried to figure out the settings. So far it looks to be a good machine and eventually I got it to do free-motion nicely on a sample size sandwich. I bought a manual from a sewing machine place just waiting on it. Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on this machine.

My hubby says don't go crazy looking for parts until we are sure it will work as I need it. We had thought it had a 8 inch throat by looking at the small photo of the machine with the ruler at the bottom but when it arrived I measured and it is only 7 inches which is only 1 inch bigger than my Singer Simple machine.

Since I'm on disability and my hubby works at walmart, financially we can't afford a new expensive machine. I'm truly excited to get what I've read is a top of the line brand of machine. My husband was very sweet to get the 500 for me. He knew I saw the Viking Opal 650 at Joannes and fell in love with it, but $699 isn't something we can get unless we save up over time. My husband says if I still love quilting and sewing, I can use the 500 while we save up for the other. ( I just learned to sew and Quilt 2 months ago).
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM

very nice of him to buy you a new to you machine.have lots of fun playing
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Congrat's on your new to you machine! I completely relate to your situation - I'm a stay at home Momma and we are on a really tight budget. I would love to buy all sorts of fun expensive things but we just aren't able to. We have done just as you and buy something previously owned or wait for a sale. My massive purchase right now is a long arm or mid arm as soon as taxes come. I have never spent so much money on myself before but I thought - I would really like one just for ME, and it's sort of an investment too because I could do a little work on the side and earn some extra money. So awesome for you and have fun playing!!! That IS a top of the line sewing machine, one I'd love to have too!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Go back to the seller and tell him you are interested in the accessories if he ever comes across them. A lot of times they will come across the stuff later but they won't remember who they sold the machine to so if you keep in contact, you may be able to get what is missing later.

I'm not familiar with this machine but looked it up and it looks like a great machine with lots of perks. Vikings have a really good reputation. Be sure to post a picture of your first project on it!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Congratulations on your new machine. It was sweet of your hubby to get it for you. When you sew your beautiful quilts no one will know (or care) how much your machine cost!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM

I am very happy for you. Viking is a very good machine.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Congratulations on your new Baby!! An additional inch on the throat is alot, there is a husky group on yahoo that may have some members with your machine. Also, check out ebay for the additional feet, and compare the price to your vendor. Enjoy the ride - she is a great machine!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

As long as it works for you it doesn't matter if it is new or not.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM

All my machines are previously loved. Some have been loved more than others but I have saved a boat load of money by buying second hand. Enjoy your machine.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on your "new" machine! Have a very happy new year, and happy sewing!