View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
josykatz

Default New to me Sewing Machine

My husband bought off of ebay a Husqvarna Viking 500 Computer Sewing Machine. It didn't come with a manual or any of the feet and only one bobbin. I guess the guy either sold the feet separately or that was all he could find. I played around with some of the stitches and tried to figure out the settings. So far it looks to be a good machine and eventually I got it to do free-motion nicely on a sample size sandwich. I bought a manual from a sewing machine place just waiting on it. Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on this machine.

My hubby says don't go crazy looking for parts until we are sure it will work as I need it. We had thought it had a 8 inch throat by looking at the small photo of the machine with the ruler at the bottom but when it arrived I measured and it is only 7 inches which is only 1 inch bigger than my Singer Simple machine.

Since I'm on disability and my hubby works at walmart, financially we can't afford a new expensive machine. I'm truly excited to get what I've read is a top of the line brand of machine. My husband was very sweet to get the 500 for me. He knew I saw the Viking Opal 650 at Joannes and fell in love with it, but $699 isn't something we can get unless we save up over time. My husband says if I still love quilting and sewing, I can use the 500 while we save up for the other. ( I just learned to sew and Quilt 2 months ago).