Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Quilt Design >

New to Quilt Design

New to Quilt Design

Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Default New to Quilt Design

Hi, All,

I'm no longer a newbie quilter, but I have never designed my own quilt--always following a printed pattern. This is the next step I'd like to take in my quilting and I want to start the old-fashioned way: graph paper. I know the EQ designing software is really popular, but, for a number of reasons, I don't want to jump to that: 1) not ready to shell out that kind of money just yet, 2) I already spend too much time in front of a computer, 3) I actually LIKE coloring in blocks with pen and paper (because I'm still a 9-year-old at heart).

Any tips on how to get started with this? I think my biggest questions are: how does the design on graph paper translate into fabric yardage? And, how do I factor in seam allowances? And.. And..

As always, in appreciation,
A
Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Math.

Once you have your design on graph paper, you'll have to figure out how big your blocks are, how big each patch is, add the seam allowances (1/4" for each patch = 1/2" for each seam, or you could just add 1/2" to each patch). Knowing the best way to rotary cut to get the most value out of your yardage is important. Once you figure out what size a patch is and how many patches you need, the rest is math.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM

LOL I always do my quilts this way!!!! I've done a couple by pattern, and end up cursing up a storm!

The first thing I would do is simply sketch what you want. Then break it down into blocks, and put those blocks on the graph paper.

I'd buy bigger squared graph paper and have each square represent an inch .... and you could take it from there!

I do most of mine in PowerPoint LOL

Have fun!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:29 AM
RST

If you want to experiment in different sized graph papers, you can probably find some online for free download and print.

I personally don't worry about figuring yardage since I prefer a very scrappy look. So I just figure I'll use a pile of "lights with gray undertones" and "darks" or "offwhites" and "medium floral".

When I draft a quilt, usually I'll have the overall design, but then I figure out what will be the repeating block that makes the most sense in terms of practical construction. Then I draft that block, often full size, which makes it very easy to understand what seam allowances you'll need.

Tempting as it is to go all fancy and complicated with the visions in your head, maybe you'll enjoy it more if you make your first self-designed and drafted project fairly simple and small and work out the tricks and potential issues on a wall hanging or table runner.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:41 AM

I'm planning a pixelated heart block for my daughter's quilt.

I used graph paper and crayons. :-)

Each square is one inch

I used to draw pictures

You can google images for inspiration

If you're appliqueing the possibilities are limitless!

Paint pictures with fabric

Have fun with it
Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I have EQ7, but I almost always start with graph paper. You got some good tips on this method from the posters above. If you do a bit of hunting there are sites on the internet that will help you with determining yardage. Here's one:
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...iltingtwo.html
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM

I don't know how many times I have ended up graphing a block to understand how it was put together and if there are any short cuts. I remember one quilt that started out with a focus block and a triple Irish chain block. It ended up as a totally different pattern after I tried a few blocks and hated them. Of course I was not going to trash all those already-cut pieces so I started doodling with my graph paper and ended up with a really sweet design--nothing original, just putting a twist to some traditional blocks. Love love love my graph paper.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

MATH !! Peckish got it RIGHT. When design, you are working in finished sizes. Once your design is completed, then you have to add on the seam allowances. Then just count how many pieces you will need and how to best cut the fabric.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 PM
RST

While I'm a fan of the math approach sometimes, it is also possible to make perfectly lovely quilts with absolutely no math at all -- just improvisational cutting and sewing and making do with what you have. My favorite quilts I've designed have just sort of evolved as I played with the fabric, sewed stuff together, threw it onto the design wall, added other stuff until I liked how it looked. Never even measured when cutting. . .

There's all kinds of approaches to quilt making, and room for all.