Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting and need advice >

New to quilting and need advice

New to quilting and need advice

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM

Welcome Littletree. One of my first quilts was just 2 colors. It was black and white (simple rail fence), but 1 block had a pop of color (that time I used red with white stars). I found I was so overwhelmed when I was at the fabric store (so only looking for 1 or 2 colors made it a LOT easier). You see it doesn't matter if you use tone on tone or a small print, it will blend together. You will learn new quilting skills, but also learn about tones. You'll also learn about moving one fabric to a different spot will also change the look of the block. Then when you are sewing your blocks together, you'll also be able to try out moving your blocks around for different looks too. So for me I would say make it simple pattern, because as you improve you will be able to change the pattern around with different placements colors and prints. So relax and have some fun and don't over think it. Goodluck.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Well, no wonder my stash is so big. I buy fabric that I love and then worry about the pattern. To each his own. Boy, do I have a large stash!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM

I usually choose a pattern first. Then you can go for the correct amounts of fabrics and the necessary darks/lights ratio. Often when a pick up fabric on a whim it goes into my stash...and that, fellow quilter, is how the "stash" grows and grows.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM

I like your first quilt. What I would tell you to try next is find a fabric you like and chose a couple colors that are in the print to go with it. A Disappearing 9 Patch is an easy pattern and you can use whatever colors you like. It starts with any size block you want ( I like a 5"). Then the whole block finishes at about 12 - 13" square. There is a tutorial for this pattern on this site.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

If you look through quilting magazines, most have a method for letting you know whether the quilt would be a 1 thimble, beginner, 2 thimble - beginner with experience, 3 thimble intermediate quilter and 4 thimble advanced; or something similar to that. I have a stash, however, when I go to make a quilt, I start with a focus fabric, one that will be the main fabric, and then pull fabrics that would go with the focus fabric. Fabric has a code in the selvedge that tells you what colors were used in the fabric - take that as your guide and you can't go wrong. It is like being a kid in a candy shop when you go into a fabric store, but most will have fabric arranged by color or type and if the staff is being less than helpful I would speak to the manager for advice.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Picking a quilt pattern is like an itch....you can keep scratching until you drive yourself crazy or worse. I tend to use BING as a search engine and look at pictures ...select a few that appeal and don't always think simple, being a new quilter, as a challenge is what makes us grow intellectually as well as artistically. Once you have picked a pattern stop second guessing yourself...it is like buying a car and then calculating the mileage you get. Once it is in the driveway or in some cases "off the lot" it is too late... you own it.

Then comes the struggle: colors, plain v patterned, batiks, textures and a ton more variables...then yardage or precut etc. Most patterns suggest yardage. Stick to what is suggested, then go for what appeals to you. Take a selection and lay them out in front of you, use a door peephole to view them and see what says... "yikes" or a digital camera (phone or Ipad) and take a photo...that allows you to step back and better select what appeals. Finally pick for yourself and not necessarily what you think others might enjoy...nothing worse that working with something or "someone" you dislike.

If you ask for advice, you will get a thousand answers and remember that customer in line in front of you at the fabric store, the one that bought all those horrid fabrics...she or he could now be home, on line and offering advice from afar. That does not mean never post questions here...there are some of the best of the best here and offering amazing help...like the post just above this one and using the selvedge, but learn to trust yourself or if you need a second opinion find a colorist that you trust and then forge ahead. If you think you made a mistake...you didn't, if you think every seam needs to be flawless and perfect, remember quilting makes everything look better. Above all, if you tire of the project keep at it ....few things are worse or more expensive than a closet filled with UFO's.

Above all make this fun or try watercolors!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:00 AM

Go to a quilt shop, not just a fabric store. You will get lots of advice and help.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 AM

Spend a little "thinking" time. Decide what you want in the focus fabric, (the main fabric). Choose one with several colors in it and then pick your secondary colors from that piece of fabric. For instance if you pick a floral fabric you will have lots of choices for secondary pieces if you use the colors of the flowers or leaves, etc. If you make something with only a couple of colors you will need to consider using the colors from the fabric or using something in the same color but lighter or darker. You can always use white or black if you cannot get enough color from your focus fabric. Look in your wu ilting books and magazines for quilts you particularly like...is it the colors or the attern that draws your attention? If it is the colors you could use them in your quilt.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 AM

If you really aren't sure you could do a mystery quilt and then just add borders to make it bed size. You could even buy a mystery quilt kit and then the fabrics are chosen for you.

There was a thread on here about numerous free block of the month programs too, including one in Quilt Board. I did the 2013 BOM and I'm still putting it together, but it was fun.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM

AT HOME Decide on a Color EX: Pink and Shades of Pink... Pick out a Pattern : Pinwheels ( 2 light + 2 Dark print fabrics) This is where Coordinating Fabrics lines help..

then Pick out several Fabrics: Small Prints, and large prints, and lay them out at the Store... If you cut out a PinWheel Pattern like a Stencil then you can lay the Open Triangle over the Fabric to see just how the Fabric Looks... and how you like either the Small or large Prints.. this is a way to Start... also use a Color Wheel or Paint Chip color Cards to help you decide on Colors... that go good together... Hope this helps..