Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Wool Batting? >

New Wool Batting?

New Wool Batting?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Default New Wool Batting?

Hi we used to stay in Australia from 1991 to 1994. My wife got were fund of making Quiots and the history and variety of the subject is great.

She was using a batting made of pure new wool = Quilters Laine by Ray Toby, which is very soft and warm to work with.
Unfortunately we have not been able to find this again.

Question: Does anyone of you know if you can get batting made of new wool and eventually where to buy?

Thanking you in advance.
John
Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 AM

New wool just means that it hasn't been recycled. To my knowledge, almost all of the most popular brands of wool batting these days is made of new wool so if you buy one that says 100% wool, it should mean 100% new wool. One possibility, though, is that wool batting was carded rather than bonded. Bonding is a chemical process that helps keep it from bearding (having small bits of the wool batting migrate through the needle holes created by quilting onto the top or back of the quilt) & makes it easier to quilt, but not everyone prefers that.

I had a friend in college whose family raised sheep. Every Spring they would sheer their sheep & send the wool off to be carded for quilt batting or spun into yarn for knitting. The carded wool was very soft and fluffy. I admittedly don't completely understand a lot about wool batting, but if you're looking for carded wool batting, I found this supplier online: http://shepherdsdream.com/shop/eco-wool-batting/
Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Not sure if this is the guy your are speaking about. Nothing on the internet but this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Quil...ng+by+Ray+Toby
Old 02-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I use Dream wool and Hobbs wool battings - both are wonderful to work with, soft , lofty, warm and washable. I love using wool battings!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a possible link for more information: http://www.quilterslane.com.au/ But it looks like they sell Hobbs Batting from Texas, USA, now.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that Dream Wool and Hobbs wool are washable and easy to take care of. I don't know about Quilter's Laine.