Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help. >

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 AM

Default Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

I am relatively new to quilting but it is my new passion and addiction. I have a brother cs6000i but I can tell it is not designed for what I am putting it through. I sew almost everyday. Anyway, I was wanting to get a Bernina and I would prob get a 215 in the store for $700. Of course, then I would have to buy a walking foot and darning foot which would prob cost an additional $200. Yikes! There is a 730e on craigslist that is 7 years old but it has everything with it including BSR and a walking foot for $840. I am not really into embroidery but I suppose it may be something in the future I could learn. I really want the BSR for free motion quilting. Of course there are no classes or warranty but I am self taught up to this point between blogs, Pinterest and YouTube so I don't know that the classes are a huge selling point other than the 45 minute class right when you pick up the machine. I am not sure what to do. Do I get a new one that is very basic? I think it only has like 12 stitches or something like that, without the option of BSR or do I buy used for the bells and whistles and because it's a lot more machine ( and BSR). So confused. I don't really have anyone to talk to in my area about this. I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank so much!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 AM

I would go and test drive it and find out why they are selling when and who serviced it etc. Do you have a Bernina dealer close by for service if needed? Perhaps you could even arrange with the seller to have the machine looked at by a service tech to see how much use it's had, etc. It sounds like a nice machine even if you don't embroider but I can't help thinking "let the buyer beware" and I think you should be prepared to spend perhaps significant additional money if the machine does not work properly. On the other hand all the advice I've heard says buy more machine than you think you need, not less. I think you would soon tire of and be frustrated with the one with only 12 stitches. If you have the ability to buy a used machine from a dealer that would maybe be the best option as you would get some warranty and service.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 AM

I received a Bernina 530 last year...took 2 lessons from the place where I got it. The lessons were O.K. but could have learned the same information in other ways. I LOVE my machine and would recommend the one with the bells and whistles if it would be a reliable seller. I also have a BSR and wouldn't do without it. As far as the embroidery part, I don't have it, but like you, would be interested in future learning. Go for it and get the one with more options. If you have the quilting bug who knows where it would lead you. By the way, this forum has an excellent source of information. Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:32 AM

The person said through email selling it that she is selling it because she upgraded. I have a bernina dealer just a couple miles from my house. The person selling on Craigslist is not real close by so it would be a bit of a trip just to see it. So far, it has just been email communication with her. I asked her to call me or if I could call her to get more info. I asked the dealer about used ones and the cheapest they had was $887 and it was only one or two steps up from the 215. It didn't sound like that much of a discount to buy used from dealer. I think it was only a little over $100 off new price.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 AM

As long as the person has had it cleaned and serviced I would not hesitate to buy a used Bernina. You also might want to check with your Bernina dealer and ask them about it. You are talking to a Bernina lover. My machine is 23 years old and still purring like a kitten. I keep thinking I should update but my Bernina dealer says if I do, don't get rid of my machine (its one of the old ones made of metal, not plastic). Even though I sew everyday, I don't feel the need to get a new one. I do have a little Janome Gem which I take to workshops because it is so much lighter. But, honestly, I love my Bernina. Good luck and don't settle for less than a Bernina. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 AM

I have a Bernina also and I love it. I also have the BSR, it has made machine quilting soooo much easier! I think thats a good price!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Go with it make it an early Christmas gift. Love my bernina and tha age this is would be a good make. So.id and heavy made to be a work horse.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

I would go the distance and check it out. I have a 730 which I have loved and thought about selling it but personally I was looking to get $2500 - $3000 range!! So that is a great deal. The only reason I was thinking of selling mine was to upgrade to one of the new line that has the "even-feed" feature.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have a Bernina also and I love it. I also have the BSR, it has made machine quilting soooo much easier! I think thats a good price!
THAT IS A GREAT PRICE if it is up and running and looks clean. Think about it the walking foot alone would cost you close to $150!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM

I would get the Bernina if it is in good condition, you will love it.