Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help. >

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Actually at least in my experience that is not true. In fact the machine shops around here will tell you that you will get a much better price if you sell it yourself.
That's usually true. Just like car dealerships, they have to be able to make money when they sell what they take on trade in. So basically they give you wholesale so that they can turn them around and get retail for them and turn a profit. That being said, you do normally get warranties and some back up from the dealership. The dealer I used also allowed people attend classes for a fee if they bought their machines somewhere other than the shop offering the classes. BTW, I've had 2 Berninas and loved both of them. I don't know that I'll be able to let go of my Artista 180. We've been thru a lot of fabric together.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

That is a really tough question. Yes, I own two Bernina (both over 15 years old) and have bought them directly out of the box. I was luck that I won gift certificates from Bernina dealerships when I entered my quilts into a variety of quilt shows. Probably ended up getting $400 in accessories over the years. It you can go to see the sewing machine and test it out, I would go for it. Good Luck !!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:27 AM

I have several berninas and live them all. I have the 215 great little workhorse. It's an entry model with a tiny harp. Like anne123 said go test the 730 (it's a lovely machine and oh wait until you try embroidery!) if you bond I would snatch it up! Great machine at a fantastic price. Good luck and let us know.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:30 AM

I am a die-hard Bernina fan, but I have a friend who bought a 530 and is not happy with it. She is a power sewer and I think that may be part of the problem. The other thing she doesn't like is on the 530 you can't increase the size of the stitches to 9 mm. She is considering trading up to the 7 series...doesn't want to embroider. She is a die-hard Bernina owner as well. But not as crazy about this 530 as she has been about older models.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 AM

I have a 180 that is my travel machine and a 550 that I got about 2 years ago. Love them both.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 AM

The 215 is now a pretty basic Bernina. I have a 15-year-old 140 and a 230. Both good machines. Your walking foot will cost you more than $100 but is necessary. Check with a Bernina dealer to see if you can get the BSR as I don't believe it is available on the 215. Also check the space from needle to the right side of the machine). This is the space you will have to cram your project in when you start free motion. The 215 doesn't give you a lot of room (about 8" or less). I keep my 140 for FMQ because it has more space (9+") and that extra inch means a lot when you're working on a full-size quilt or larger. I have never had the BSR but I've managed to get my stitches relatively even by practicing. Bernina dealers are usually very good about arranging classes to get you started. If the used machine is in good condition I would go for it. My local dealer just sold a used 140 for $500. My 140 is sewing perfectly well and it gets the majority of tough use. Before that I had a Bernina 800 (the old metal one) for 27 years and never had a problem with it and I sewed constantly. The ones made in Switzerland are great machines.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 AM

My friend and I both bought used Berninas. 1603s with the 1996 Update. She died and left me her sewing room including her Bernina and all the attachments she had collected for it.

My experience is that some Bernina dealers do not support older models for anything beyond cleaning and oiling and purchase of the wondrously expensive attachments. Asking a question as to how something works gets you a blank look or a very quiet spot over the phone. Yes, there are manuals; BUT, they are sometimes confusing and it takes time and effort to noodle out a workable bit of information. I was disappointed when I discovered the older model support issue. Figure it out myself is not always the way I want to go.

I would not trade my twins in for anything. They have all the features that current high end machines are currently touting and I can do service on them. They sew like crazy and do whatever I want them to. They are computerized BUT the computers (pcs) they can connect to, if so desired, are long out of production and the pcs operating systems long outmoded.

Forgive me for being so windy but I thought I had some info. that you hadn't had yet and, since I am also a self-taught sewer, I wondered if it might turn out helpful for you.

Good hunting!

P
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 AM

Check with your local Bernina dealer. They may have some good used machines. You will also have a chance to test drive and have classes avaible. That how I got my Bernina 730 and the support has been wonderful.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Keep your little Brother as it is a great machine to take to classes. Light and easily moved. I keep my good machine at home and cart the brother around. Does the job.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 AM

I have a Bernina Virtuosa and love it, though it does not have BSR. I would test drive the CL Bernina and see if it works first. I know that all the stores are having sales right now and I would look at what they have also. I fell in love with my Bernina at a local store but the price for a 2nd machine was atrocious. Found it on Ebay for 1/2 the price and it has been fabulous. Good Luck.