Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie in need of some puff-quilt advise. >

Newbie in need of some puff-quilt advise.

Newbie in need of some puff-quilt advise.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM

Default Newbie in need of some puff-quilt advise.

Hello!

I'll start off by saying about a year or two ago, I was going to start making my very first quilt without a pattern because I was planning on just making a simple quilt with a binding and I was considering putting some hand applique on it. Getting frustrated from trying to figure out how many squares I actually needed, I cut out what I thought I needed and gave up once I tried to draft the layout out on paper. I just tossed the fabric all in a drawer to be forgotten about since then.

Recently I watched a movie and the main character has a lovely puff quilt and it reminded me of my own quilt and quickly thought hey, I could make a puff quilt out of all those blocks I cut.. but how do I do it? I did some research and found instructions, the main way people seem to be making it now is to make the top square smaller than the bottom and to pintuck the larger piece to leave room to stuff it. Personally I don't like this method, I don't think it looks good since the tucks make the quilts look a bit amateur once it's all together in my personal opinion.

So! My question.. What is the best way of going about this? I was thinking of just sewing all the squares together, putting a very thick batting(possibly two layers?) in between the top and backing and then quilting around each square to make them appear puffy. I got this idea from seeing this quilt but I don't want to use yarn, I'm thinking possibly embroidery floss or invisible thread. Also I don't think I want to do a binding, does this mean I would have to ladder stitch(or some other stitch, I guess) all the way around once I'm finished or just sew it shut before I start quilting?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 AM

Do a search for bisquit quilt..I think that is what that would be called
Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 AM

http://www.karensvariety.com/ARTICLE...lt/Biscuit.htm

http://www.squidoo.com/biscuit_quilt

Hope one of these helps
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 AM

I am in the process of finishing up my Biscuit quilt. It was a lot of fun. I used 5" charm squares and 4" muslin squares for the puffs. Here is the video that I used. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGPpA1Y
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 AM

My grandma made me a biscuit quilt for my high school graduation over 40 years ago. It was made by machine stitching equal sized squares right sides together, leaving one side open, and turning outside right. Each biscuit was stuffed with, believe it or not, a worn out nylon stocking. The biscuits were hand sewn together on point. There was no need for a binding. I wouldn't recommend the nylon stocking stuffing (way too heavy), but the hand sewing method is good if you enjoy hand sewing.

The example you show mentions that the yarn ties are there for design and sensory experience for kids. If they aren't serving the purpose of holding the quilt together, they seem superfluous to me.

Have fun with your project!

Dayle
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I have made ten biscuit quilts. Top square is 1" larger than bottom muslin square. Pleats are sewn in the top square and sewn to the bottom square. Leaving one side open for stuffing, stuff with a ping pong ball size fiberfil. Too much stuffing will make it very hard to sew squares and then rows together. Put backing piping around edge, sew backing on like a pillowcase turn out sew opening shut and tie with crochet thread at intersections.
You can also eliminate the piping and put a regular backing on it, tie and put a binding onto it.
I had a book and followed the instructions. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I am in the process of finishing up my Biscuit quilt. It was a lot of fun. I used 5" charm squares and 4" muslin squares for the puffs. Here is the video that I used. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGPpA1Y
This lady uses too small of squares for the back. It may be okay for a wall hanging but I would not like it for a quilt. I don't like a border on it either. I just might like the only way I made them better.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
This lady uses too small of squares for the back. It may be okay for a wall hanging but I would not like it for a quilt. I don't like a border on it either. I just might like the only way I made them better.
I agree that her backing squares are too small. That' why I went with the 5" squares on top and the 4" squares of muslin. I am just now starting to sew my puffs into rows and it takes 14 of the puffs to make it a good width for a throw. My finished size will be 14 puffs across and 16 puffs down.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

from previous posts about this, my takeaway is to not overstuff the biscuits
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM

I have been saving Xmas charm packs for such a quilt! maybe halloween charm pack for a wall hanging?