Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question - what's the best way to launder fabric?

Newbie question - what's the best way to launder fabric?

I just got back from Hobby Lobby...siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh....and bought my first fat quarter, my first jelly roll, and my first something-else-I-don't-know-what-it-is-cause-I-already-threw-the-tag-away and as I'm sitting here sighing and preening over the fabric, I'm wondering - how do I launder this since it's all pre-cut (I know, I know - you're thinking...it's ALL pre-cut Nokie...now be a good girl and put the scissors down and back away sloooowwwlllyyyyyyy from the cutting table...) And much smaller than if I would of bought a yard or 4 of it? I've not had good experience with washing material so far - it came out of the washer looking like I had thrown the cat in with it and they got tangled up together in the spin cycle - so I'm open to suggestions!! I had thought of a mesh bag but I don't have one - thought of a pillow case but how do I keep it closed? Any help is much appreciated!

I solved the problem around 2006 or so. I quit prewashing. Not a single problem yet.

Nokie if it is high quality fabric you might get away without washing them but if you do if you have a say old leg from a pair of pantie hose cut it off and put them inside the leg and tie a knot it it and wash that away, I'd wash them in cold water . If it's a pillow case I'd pin it closed with safety pins all the way across.

I don't buy anything smaller than a FQ for that reason. If you are determined to pre-wash, I would gently hand wash them in the sink in hot water then dry them in a tumble bag.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Oh...so I don't have to pre-wash? I thought that was the cardinal rule....if it's not a have to I'll skip it!

I only pre-wash fabrics that are going into a baby quilt. This way I can guarantee that it is washable and all the added chemicals are removed. For my own quilts I like the "wrinkled" look when I wash it after everything is complete.

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash at all. If I have to, I wash when it is all done.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Oh...so I don't have to pre-wash? I thought that was the cardinal rule....if it's not a have to I'll skip it!
    it is...but when you buy pre-cuts, you sort of are stuck with whatever you get in the end...just pray nothing bleeds, and that you are not going to have an allergic reaction to the chemicals on the fabric!

Blog Entries
    I've never prewashed anything except flannel. If I ever wanted to prewash a jelly roll, I'd give my head a shake. For the price I'd have paid for precuts, I wouldn't want to risk it. I could have bought yardage and prewashed that without fear. Besides, I like the cuddly look my quilts get when I wash them once they're complete.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I just got back from Hobby Lobby...siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh....and bought my first fat quarter, my first jelly roll, and my first something-else-I-don't-know-what-it-is-cause-I-already-threw-the-tag-away and as I'm sitting here sighing and preening over the fabric, I'm wondering - how do I launder this since it's all pre-cut (I know, I know - you're thinking...it's ALL pre-cut Nokie...now be a good girl and put the scissors down and back away sloooowwwlllyyyyyyy from the cutting table...) And much smaller than if I would of bought a yard or 4 of it? I've not had good experience with washing material so far - it came out of the washer looking like I had thrown the cat in with it and they got tangled up together in the spin cycle - so I'm open to suggestions!! I had thought of a mesh bag but I don't have one - thought of a pillow case but how do I keep it closed? Any help is much appreciated!

I prewash yardage, but I'd never attempt to wash precuts, except fat quarters
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast