Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie) >

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

I'm about as "newbie" as they get - I have only made one rag quilt. I'm going to be making another rag quilt (my daughter has requested a bigger one). After that I want to try "real" (for lack of a better time) quilting. Is there any type of quilt that is easiest for a beginner/newbie?

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:51 PM

The easiest quilt is probably something with a layout like subway tiles or a brick wall, where you don't really have to match any corners or worry about points. You can just pick colors you like, pick a "brick" size, and put it together however you like - scrappy/random style, or arrange them into lines or v's or zig-zags.

One of my first quilts was that style; I used 4x8 bricks and it went together nice and easy. (4x8 finished size, so cut at 4-1/2 x 8-1/2)

If you use batting with a minimum quilting distance that's larger than the short side of your brick, you can do stitch-in-the-ditch sewing along the long straight lines and that will be plenty of quilting. Then if you feel like getting creative, you can FMQ in all or just some of the bricks.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I agree that bricks are easy; no matching seams.

I would also suggest a rail fence pattern.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Rail fence is nice. A jelly roll race quilt would be simple as well and would give you lots of practice at sewing that quarter inch seam, but since it doesn't involve putting blocks together it would be a forgiving pattern if the 1/4" isn't quite perfect. Another option is to go to Pinterest and search on easy quilt blocks or easy quilts. I love Pinterest for generating ideas on something like this.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM

If you are feeling a little more adventurous, go for a 9-patch. You could do it in two colours if you want, or use three--one colour for the four outside squares, one colour for the 4 inside squares and one colour for the center square. (Then if you really feel adventurous, you can cut it apart and put it back together again for a Disappearing 9 patch which looks lots lots harder than it is.)

Lots of easy patterns out there. You just have to take the plunge.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Lots of good ideas. If you check Quilts for Kids there are simle patterns there. I love the 9-patch combined with an alternate solid block. Good luck. Whatever you choose will be fun and great.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Warm wishes is easy and looks great. Here is a link to the free pattern:
http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...-crib_size.pdf

If you go up to the search feature at the top of this page and type in "Warm wishes" you will see lots of examples made by people here on the board. The one in the free pattern is ok but photos on this board will show you even better color choices IMHO.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Yellow Brick Road is the pattern I learned on.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 PM

All of these are great suggestions, most of us began with easily laid out quilts. My first quilt was a log cabin with wider strips (2") finished. then I moved to 4 and 9 patches. What ever you begin with, some practice with matching seams is a necessary part of the process. When you get more confident and sure of skills try some points. Above all, don't be hard on yourself if everything doesn't match-up or come out all hunky-dory.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Rail fence, log cabin, irish chain, warm wishes, the BQ patters are also fairly simple