Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie) >

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 PM

Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions!! I'm so excited to get into quilting and this board seems so friendly and helpful!!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 AM

Yellow Brick Road is always good. Turning Twenty is another fun one.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 AM

I find that the log cabin is not so easy...it is but you need patience and to pay attention...I love the look of the log cabin and someday I will make more than just a few blocks. For easy quilts...I love the tumbler...D9P, simple nice block layout, Trip around the world quilt.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 AM

The easiest that I have made is a checkerboard quilt. Two contrasting fabrics, just squares,no triangles, and easily strip pieced. It's a classic look that can't be beat. You can border it if you want, but you don't have to.

I have a checkerboard quilt on my couch right now. I love it, but will eventually give it away. I'm just not ready to part with it yet!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 AM

So many people recommend this pattern...I tried it and just couldn't make it work. My fabrics were purchased from a local quilt shop with help from one of the personnel, so I'm sure it could have worked. I just couldn't make it happen.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 AM

The last bit of advice was absolutely on the mark. I used to break out in a sweat over matching points - those matching points can be paralyzing to creativity! Then one day, as I was looking through a quilting magazine, I noticed that the photographed quilts had their share of unmatched points. That set me free!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:11 AM

Find a pattern that you are attracted to - don't limit yourself!
My first quilt pattern was Debby Maddy (sp?) Labyrinth pattern. Mostly Big Pieces - great results.
Look thru vendor catalogs like Connecting Threads or Keepsake Quilting or magazines should you have access to them. You'll know when you see one that you like!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:01 AM

I was going to suggest the jelly roll race quilt because it would be quick and easy. My first quilt was a 9 patch. That was and easy quilt. One that looks more complicated is the disappearing 9 patch (DNP). You make a 9 patch block then cut in half both ways, mix up the pieces and sew it back together.

Another easier block to make is a snowball. Those look good alternated with a 9 patch or just squares.

Then when you want to get a little more complicated, try something with half-square triangles. Pinwheels wouldn't be too difficult.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:16 AM

My favorite newby quilt is a simple, 2 color 9-patch quilt with alternating blocks. One 9-patch, one plain block. The one I made years ago is still on my guest room bed. It took me a week from beginning to finish.... I've helped a couple of people make one.
Attached Thumbnails red-white-quilt.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 AM

Go to Missouri star quilt company tutorials on YouTube...many easy and fun patterns there.......