Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A nice thing to be said about a plain-jane, straight-stitch only machine >

A nice thing to be said about a plain-jane, straight-stitch only machine

A nice thing to be said about a plain-jane, straight-stitch only machine

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

One of the positive things to be said about a plain-jane, straight-stitch only machine is

that there are no settings (except stitch length and forward and backward) to worry about

(Sometimes I would forget to reset my "other" machine - and go merrily stitching away - until I realized that really wasn't what I wanted to do)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM

I have a Janome 6600, and 7 years later, I have never worried a day.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have been using a new to me Singer 15. I love it. So smooth, quiet, and straight stitches!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I use a straight stitch only machine for all my piecing. The fabric never gets pulled into the bobbin area. I have a Brother 1500 straight stitch with thread cutter and I love it. I use my vintage straight stitch FW and 301 for classes and workshops. I have a Singer 15 in cabinet that I use for paper piecing, a Singer Quantum for decorative stitches, and two Janome Gems I let the kids use. I gave my two treadles to my DDs, they like the look for their decor, they never use them. At least they are storing them out of my way. I could still use a brand new Bernina!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM

I know! I have a fancy machine that does everything short of washing the dishes but when I piece a quilt I get out my good ole straight stich singer machine that I've had for about 20 years. I've kept it serviced and it still stitches great. No muss no fuss!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM

I'll admit I do love the self-threader & thread cutter on my newer machine, but I love the easy, even straight stitch of my older machines.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 AM

one of my machines (probly my fave) is a Janome 1600. Straight stitch mechanical and sews like CRRRAAAzy! I use it all the time for everything and always sews great!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I have one of those sewing and embroidery machines (Viking Rose) but I decided I'm going to sell it. My 1973 Viking 64 30 (finally made it's way back home after being on visitation with one of the daughters) got a thorough cleaning and lubrication and she's purring like a kitten. As soon as I brought her home, I packed up the modern one. I'm just not that happy with the 'modern' machine. My 64 30 sewed everything from baby clothes to evening gowns, from swimsuits to business suits with a bunch of quilt tops thrown into the mix.

I love my vintage machines because if anything goes wrong with them, they can be fixed a whole lot cheaper than the computerized ones. The 'old reliable' goes over any type of seam without blinking an eye or having to think about it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree!!!!!!!!! For my piecing it's always one of my trusty old Singers :)
Before joining the board I didn't even HAVE any vintage Singers!! lol
So........... thanks everyone :D:D
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Had to rely on my featherweight today when I couldn't get the newly filled bobbin off the winding spool. It was great except for trying to sew 2 pieces of black fabric together against a black machine bed!

FREE Quilting Newsletter