Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
nine patch heart block >

nine patch heart block

nine patch heart block

Old 02-01-2016, 06:41 PM

Default nine patch heart block

Hi all! I have been enjoying reading through some of the posts on here and see how everyone responds with suggestions and helpful tips. I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction with this pattern. I'm working on the Nine Patch Heart Block from McCalls Jan./Feb. 2013 issue.

I've cut the pieces correctly, checked and rechecked. When I sewed the first rectangle to the nine patch all went well. I sewed the white block to the other rectangle as directed. Then when I tried to sew this piece to the other side of the nine patch, it is too big! What the heck is happening??

Hopefully someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks

Joann
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm assuming that when you say it's "too big" the piece that is larger is the rectangle with the white square vs. your 9 patch + first rectangle. If this is correct, my guess is that your seam allowance is off. You should measure your 9 patch before you attach the other pieces. It should measure exactly 5" X 5". If it doesn't, it means that either you cut it wrong (which you've checked), sewed it wrong (see below) or when you pressed it, you ironed a tiny crease in one of the seams.
We talk about a 1/4" seam, but you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch. Here's the standard way to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

Here's a link to your pattern & it looks like the cutting directions are all correct.
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._Block_Pattern
Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 PM

Thank you PaperPrincess. I'll have to check my sewing again.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Check size of squares in nine patch before sewing, then sew a 1/4" seam and check the new measurement. Then nest the seams together for matching. If all correct no problem. Good luck, let us see the finished quilt.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The trick to this block, or any like it, is to make the most pieced section first -- in this case it would be the 9 patch, it has the most seams.
AFTER piecing the 9 patch measure it and cut your rectangles using that measurement for the long side of the rectangle that adjoins it. This way it is more likely to fit your 9 patch.

No matter how carefully you cut a fabric, the thread you use, the size of your 1/4" seam (+ or - three or four threads more than mine or 'hers' for instance?), the "hand" of your fabric (how thick/thin/dyed/"finished" it is) all will affect a seam size. So, it's really easier to make the most pieced sections of your quilt first, then measure to get the size of the next-to-it cut you'll need.

So many people cut everything out at one time, then start sewing. To me, and I teach this way, that can be a recipe for frustration and mis-matches. I try to eliminate as much frustration as I can in a class and in my own sewing life!

Jan in VA
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM

I am in the process of making a lot of 9 patch blocks and I have been keeping a close eye on my cutting method as the first lot of blocks were not quite right.

Some of the lines on rulers are "thicker" than others and this was throwing out my blocks by just a "smidgen". Once I noticed what was happening the next lot of blocks are making me happy.

Also watch that 1/4" seam - no two machines sew the same 1/4". If you have the ability to adjust the stitch width on your machine do a little experimenting to get it right otherwise draw a line to sew on.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
The trick to this block, or any like it, is to make the most pieced section first -- in this case it would be the 9 patch, it has the most seams.
AFTER piecing the 9 patch measure it and cut your rectangles using that measurement for the long side of the rectangle that adjoins it. This way it is more likely to fit your 9 patch.

No matter how carefully you cut a fabric, the thread you use, the size of your 1/4" seam (+ or - three or four threads more than mine or 'hers' for instance?), the "hand" of your fabric (how thick/thin/dyed/"finished" it is) all will affect a seam size. So, it's really easier to make the most pieced sections of your quilt first, then measure to get the size of the next-to-it cut you'll need.

So many people cut everything out at one time, then start sewing. To me, and I teach this way, that can be a recipe for frustration and mis-matches. I try to eliminate as much frustration as I can in a class and in my own sewing life!

Jan in VA
Great tip. Thank You Jan. I am going to try and remember this.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I find that it is easier to make a 9 patch from sewing three strips together and then sub cutting them and sewing them together. I check the accuracy of each section as it is sewn when precision piecing is required. You may have simply cut the section too large. Good Luck.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Thank you all! I double checked my 1/4" seam allowance and sure enough, I wasn't getting the 1/4". I purchased the special foot for that purpose, but find that it's not true. I made a few blocks today paying more attention to the seam allowance and it all came together very smoothly. Tomorrow I will have my quilt blocks done and will then decide how to put them together for a table runner. <3