Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: No Standard Width of Fat Quarters

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,017
    There appears to be some misunderstanding about the size of a fat quarter. There may be the false idea that all fat quarters should be 22" x 18". There is no standard other than the length. They should be 18" or 1/2 yd.
    Width will depend on the width of the original fabric which can range from 40", 41", 42", 44", 45" etc. Hopefully not 39".
    Therefore a fat quarter is 18" and 1/2 the width of whatever size the fabric might be.
    There was a time when some of a design line was printed in the USA and some overseas. Almost always there was a difference. I have had some of the entire line which might be 8-12 pieces and they differed in width.
    If a fat quarter pack is less than 18" in length then the shop should be told about it. Many of the precuts are done in a factory overseas now and not coming to us correct.
    In these cases I suggest contacting the manufacturer about the problem as well as the shop where they were purchased. A recent example of this is with the Hoffman Bali Pops. A group came incorrect. The error was made overseas where they were cut. Hoffman corrected it.
    So we have to get back to the source about the problem.
    Even the big box stores should be told there is a problem and not the local but headquarters. We must raise our voices. With the prices now I don't want to be shorted on what I pay for. If they are cut crooked then I want someone to know about it.
    Now off soap box.

  2. #2
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,043
    Applause, applause!

  3. #3
    Super Member Melinda in Tulsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,483
    Blog Entries
    62
    Thanks Holice. Remember when 36" was the standard width. Showing my age here !

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,133
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Thanks Holice. Remember when 36" was the standard width. Showing my age here !
    I remember! :D

  5. #5
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Thanks Holice. Remember when 36" was the standard width. Showing my age here !
    I remember! :D
    Me too!

  6. #6
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member Candela59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    699
    Bravo! :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks Holice

    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There appears to be some misunderstanding about the size of a fat quarter. There may be the false idea that all fat quarters should be 22" x 18". There is no standard other than the length. They should be 18" or 1/2 yd.
    Width will depend on the width of the original fabric which can range from 40", 41", 42", 44", 45" etc. Hopefully not 39".
    Therefore a fat quarter is 18" and 1/2 the width of whatever size the fabric might be.
    There was a time when some of a design line was printed in the USA and some overseas. Almost always there was a difference. I have had some of the entire line which might be 8-12 pieces and they differed in width.
    If a fat quarter pack is less than 18" in length then the shop should be told about it. Many of the precuts are done in a factory overseas now and not coming to us correct.
    In these cases I suggest contacting the manufacturer about the problem as well as the shop where they were purchased. A recent example of this is with the Hoffman Bali Pops. A group came incorrect. The error was made overseas where they were cut. Hoffman corrected it.
    So we have to get back to the source about the problem.
    Even the big box stores should be told there is a problem and not the local but headquarters. We must raise our voices. With the prices now I don't want to be shorted on what I pay for. If they are cut crooked then I want someone to know about it.
    Now off soap box.

  9. #9
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    17,265
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There appears to be some misunderstanding about the size of a fat quarter. There may be the false idea that all fat quarters should be 22" x 18". There is no standard other than the length. They should be 18" or 1/2 yd.
    Width will depend on the width of the original fabric which can range from 40", 41", 42", 44", 45" etc. Hopefully not 39".
    Therefore a fat quarter is 18" and 1/2 the width of whatever size the fabric might be.
    There was a time when some of a design line was printed in the USA and some overseas. Almost always there was a difference. I have had some of the entire line which might be 8-12 pieces and they differed in width.
    If a fat quarter pack is less than 18" in length then the shop should be told about it. Many of the precuts are done in a factory overseas now and not coming to us correct.
    In these cases I suggest contacting the manufacturer about the problem as well as the shop where they were purchased. A recent example of this is with the Hoffman Bali Pops. A group came incorrect. The error was made overseas where they were cut. Hoffman corrected it.
    So we have to get back to the source about the problem.
    Even the big box stores should be told there is a problem and not the local but headquarters. We must raise our voices. With the prices now I don't want to be shorted on what I pay for. If they are cut crooked then I want someone to know about it.
    Now off soap box.
    Very well said!

  10. #10
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Thanks Holice. Remember when 36" was the standard width. Showing my age here !
    I remember! :D
    Me too!
    Yup, me too. I'm in good company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.