Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Not enough fabric for backing and cannot find anymore

I love to make scrappy backs. I often go find a different fabric for the binding just so I have some of the matching fabric for the back! maryquilts has a great off center 4 patch backing idea. She has lots of free quilt patterns too...

www.maryquilts.com

look along the left side...its called : backing~ off center 4 patch
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I have begun to prefer a pieced back. I think it adds interest and a little whimsy to the quilt. The only time, recently, that I've done backs of a single fabric is when I've done either a tiny doll quilt or a smallish wallhanging and the piece of fabric that I had was enough for the whole quilt.

Go ahead. People do it all the time! Sometimes things like this happen and it totally expands your horizons by forcing you into an uncomfortable situation.

Pieced borders look wonderful! There are no quilt police.
    Linda

The modern Quilters are doing it all the time now and it looks great. Or piece the rest out of fabrics you have left from the front. Use leftover blocks. Make a stacked coins strip from leftovers.

Sometimes I make a hanging tube out of the leftover fabrics, then there is fabric for repairs.

QM
    People in my guild piece backs all the time, often a stripe of something coordinating.

I didn't have enough money to purchase backing for a scrappy quilt for my granddaughters wedding. I had plenty of the many different materials I used on the front so I cut 12" squares and made a scrappy backing that was 110" x 120". They were thrilled with it because they thought it was reversible.

Name:  Back of Chrystal's quilt.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  211.1 KB

My color layout is not as good as I would like it to be and it took longer to do it, but it worked out for the pocket book. In my opinion, you can do anything on the back that works well for you.

Bearpawquilter said:
    The modern Quilters are doing it all the time now and it looks great. Or piece the rest out of fabrics you have left from the front. Use leftover blocks. Make a stacked coins strip from leftovers.
    Last edited by twinkie; 12-07-2012 at 03:08 AM.

I do pieced backs a lot. This one, I used fabric from the border to piece the back. This particular one is centered but I've also done them off-center. You just need to make it look deliberate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pat

Two things.
    1. Call JoAnns customer service (make sure you have the sku # of your fabric, They can do a nationwide search for your fabric. They'll give you the phone # of the stores (if they have any) and you can call them and check to see if it's in stock. If not, try #2.
    2. Here is the link to John Flynn's diagonal pieced backing. http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/ Scroll down to Diagonal Pieced backing and print the instructions. Do the math and see if it will work for you. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to try it tomorrow for a charity comfort wrap.
    Good luck. That said, been there, done that. More than once, I'm afraid.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast