Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
not picking up bobbin thread >

not picking up bobbin thread

not picking up bobbin thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM

If your machine is under warranty you shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed. Good Luck figuring out your problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I would try changing the needle and also do not go to fast when moving fabric. I also find the Kenmore needles are the best one the Janome for quilting. The red tip one works great.
I changed the needle, thread and bobbin and the problem persisted. Thank you for the suggestions. I have the problem at all speeds, but I do not quilt very fast, but I did test it as fast as it would go. I like to go slow and watch each stitch!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
If your machine is under warranty you shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed. Good Luck figuring out your problem.
Thank you. I wish it *was* under warranty but as I mentioned, I got it used. It's an older, retired Janome.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 AM

I'm curious as to what type of thread are using. I had a similar problem with my Viking when I used the 1200 yd. spool of Coats and Clark thread. The spool is a large cardboard tube. When the thread would come around it would get stuck between the rest of the thread and the machine. When I'd move the fabric, the extra tension would make it skip a few stitches. The owner of the LQS I took it to suggested the "deelybob." It's a machined piece of plastic that is inserted into the cardboard tube of the spool. This keeps the spool from drooping and causing extra tension.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 AM

I think I'm pleased to announce that I'm Not having this issue anymore!

I'll back up my saga a few weeks... I purchased a Janome darning foot and it "hops" around while quilting, so i wanted to get one of the plastic ones that you can modify. Well, the plastic one is the one I was using that was giving me fits! I drug out my Drimmel tool and filed away at the cut-away part of the foot, thinking it might be snagging the thread (because it worked fine in the direction that was cut away) and then I tried it, and it was better, but still not doing right. So I thought I'd try the metal one. Guess what...... It worked just fine!
One reason I don't like using the metal one is because I have to go so slow on it, or the needle hits it and breaks. OH well! Slow is better than none!!!

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-04-2018 at 02:17 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 PM

I know this post is super old, but I've been fighting with my machine for hours, and your suggestion fixed my problem. Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by tutyfrutie; 10-03-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong person