Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
not your typical fold down edge binding >

not your typical fold down edge binding

not your typical fold down edge binding

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Default not your typical fold down edge binding

Not sure if I am going to describe this correctly, but I saw a quilt that had binding where the corners didn't have the little fold. It looked like the finish I might find on napkins or placemats. So I have been doing all sorts of "googling" trying to word it correctly and have not found anything yet. Obviously I can't figure out how to do this, so am in need of some assistance. Thanking replies in advance.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Do you mean a serger? Did the quilt have a like threaded binding like you find on the edges of knit type material? If not, I can't help you figure this out. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean, so I went and checked out my napkins. They very clearly look folded over and mitered, but the edges of the fold are stitched down, which is how I do my bindings anyway. Is this what you mean?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM

I've seen binding done like you would finish a waistband on a skirt or a pair of pants, is that you were talking about?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Was the corner rounded? I have done that by stretching the bias binding, but trying to get the rounded corners the same size was a pain, it was on a square quilt that I made for a table topper for a round table
Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Is it a "knife edge" binding? Some of newer quilt designers like to have no binding on their quilts and instead fold in a 1/4 in on the top and 1/4 inch on the back and have the 2 folded edges meet to form a knife edge that they ladder stitch together. There is also some that like to do a "facing edge" where the binding strips are sewn to the front and the whole binding strip is hand stitched to the back. There is also a self binding technique that is on the Missouri quilt co. you tube videos on "self binding" a receiving blanket? Hope these give you some ideas to search for.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I think I saw that in one of the books I had - one sews sort of an L shape at the corner and then one does some clipping (I think)

I think I tried it and I didn't do it very well - - - -
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 PM

I might know what you are talking about, maybe! If it has the binding showing only on the front (or the back) of the quilt, and there is a mitered seam (no little fold) on the corner, then I have done many of them! It is sewn on in 4 seperate strips, stopping the stitching 1/4" from the corners, but leaving "tails" that extend over the corners by several inches. Then you fold the corner back and mark the binding on the proper angle and stitch. Turn the whole binding back over to the other side (I like to top stitch on the right side, not the back) and it hides the little corner mitered seam inside the seam, very neat and clean. Linda
Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
I might know what you are talking about, maybe! If it has the binding showing only on the front (or the back) of the quilt, and there is a mitered seam (no little fold) on the corner, then I have done many of them! It is sewn on in 4 seperate strips, stopping the stitching 1/4" from the corners, but leaving "tails" that extend over the corners by several inches. Then you fold the corner back and mark the binding on the proper angle and stitch. Turn the whole binding back over to the other side (I like to top stitch on the right side, not the back) and it hides the little corner mitered seam inside the seam, very neat and clean. Linda
I think Ricky Tims binds his quilts this way.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 AM

Perhaps you are talking about how it looks when you attach the binding using a binder attachment on a serger?