Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   not your typical fold down edge binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-your-typical-fold-down-edge-binding-t186680.html)

pbeaulieu 04-20-2012 10:55 AM

not your typical fold down edge binding

Not sure if I am going to describe this correctly, but I saw a quilt that had binding where the corners didn't have the little fold. It looked like the finish I might find on napkins or placemats. So I have been doing all sorts of "googling" trying to word it correctly and have not found anything yet. Obviously I can't figure out how to do this, so am in need of some assistance. Thanking replies in advance.

EvelynJ 04-20-2012 11:02 AM

Do you mean a serger? Did the quilt have a like threaded binding like you find on the edges of knit type material? If not, I can't help you figure this out. Good luck.

Peckish 04-20-2012 11:05 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean, so I went and checked out my napkins. :) They very clearly look folded over and mitered, but the edges of the fold are stitched down, which is how I do my bindings anyway. Is this what you mean?

virtualbernie 04-20-2012 11:39 AM

I've seen binding done like you would finish a waistband on a skirt or a pair of pants, is that you were talking about?

nhweaver 04-20-2012 01:11 PM

Was the corner rounded? I have done that by stretching the bias binding, but trying to get the rounded corners the same size was a pain, it was on a square quilt that I made for a table topper for a round table

Tartan 04-20-2012 02:07 PM

Is it a "knife edge" binding? Some of newer quilt designers like to have no binding on their quilts and instead fold in a 1/4 in on the top and 1/4 inch on the back and have the 2 folded edges meet to form a knife edge that they ladder stitch together. There is also some that like to do a "facing edge" where the binding strips are sewn to the front and the whole binding strip is hand stitched to the back. There is also a self binding technique that is on the Missouri quilt co. you tube videos on "self binding" a receiving blanket? Hope these give you some ideas to search for.

bearisgray 04-20-2012 03:24 PM

I think I saw that in one of the books I had - one sews sort of an L shape at the corner and then one does some clipping (I think)

I think I tried it and I didn't do it very well - - - -

linda8450 04-20-2012 08:39 PM

I might know what you are talking about, maybe! If it has the binding showing only on the front (or the back) of the quilt, and there is a mitered seam (no little fold) on the corner, then I have done many of them! It is sewn on in 4 seperate strips, stopping the stitching 1/4" from the corners, but leaving "tails" that extend over the corners by several inches. Then you fold the corner back and mark the binding on the proper angle and stitch. Turn the whole binding back over to the other side (I like to top stitch on the right side, not the back) and it hides the little corner mitered seam inside the seam, very neat and clean. Linda

molly oldham 04-21-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 5158246)
I might know what you are talking about, maybe! If it has the binding showing only on the front (or the back) of the quilt, and there is a mitered seam (no little fold) on the corner, then I have done many of them! It is sewn on in 4 seperate strips, stopping the stitching 1/4" from the corners, but leaving "tails" that extend over the corners by several inches. Then you fold the corner back and mark the binding on the proper angle and stitch. Turn the whole binding back over to the other side (I like to top stitch on the right side, not the back) and it hides the little corner mitered seam inside the seam, very neat and clean. Linda

I think Ricky Tims binds his quilts this way.

jitkaau 04-22-2012 02:42 AM

Perhaps you are talking about how it looks when you attach the binding using a binder attachment on a serger?