Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now I need to start shopping more online >

Now I need to start shopping more online

Now I need to start shopping more online

Old 06-19-2010, 07:09 AM

After my trip over the hill, what I call it. An hour drive for me to my Walmart store. I said in a previous post that they have remodeled the store and the quilting section is nil to none.
I then decided well, I could still shop in town. We have a small place that sells some nice fabric.
They had a 50% sale that I did not know about and they too are getting rid of fabric.
What am I to do now? Wait to travel and go to Joanne's or one of those shops or shop online
Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
After my trip over the hill, what I call it. An hour drive for me to my Walmart store. I said in a previous post that they have remodeled the store and the quilting section is nil to none.
I then decided well, I could still shop in town. We have a small place that sells some nice fabric.
They had a 50% sale that I did not know about and they too are getting rid of fabric.
What am I to do now? Wait to travel and go to Joanne's or one of those shops or shop online
That's a shame.
I remember (I'm talking about the '50s and '60s) you could buy fabric in alot of different stores. Seems like it's going to become extinct someday.
All shopping will be online.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Shop online. I love it!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 AM

If you look for the sellers online who sell quality fabric and have great sales, you can really beat the LQS prices. It's great to be able to go in and SEE and touch the fabrics, but those days are long gone for many towns. I've found some great buys online. Also watch shipping prices....some ebay and others will overprice their shipping and you'll not get such a great bargain then.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 AM

If you keep an eye on the shipping, you can get some great prices on eBay. Compare! If you find something you like, save it and then search for it specifically and see if someone else has a better deal. I buy most of my fabric online at this point. I can't afford the LQS and they are not particularly near me.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 AM

for a different perspective...online shopping is doing to LQS what WalMart did and is doing to locally owned shops...it's forcing them out of business because the prices can be cheaper...they have lower overhead.

IF you have a locally owned business, please shop it first and help them stay in business...if they are a business you want to have locally. Online is great to have for those who don't have anything locally, or for comparison, but I for one don't want to see local quilt shops go out of business...so shop locally if you can.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 AM

I shop online for 95% of my fabrics and supplies.
I live in a rural area and it is a 45min drive to joanns and a 1 1/2 hr drive to a LQS(not so local)
There is a LQS within 45 min but she has strange hours and no evenings or weekends. this may suit her but she is losing business.
about shipping buy in larger quanitities - and ask for priority flat rate shipping
I can ship 30yds of fabric in a large box for $15
but 5 yds cost me $5
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 AM

I shop on line 98% of the time and I have never been disappointed. I do have a few quilt shops in my area (thankfully) but I find them more expensive. Some of the same fabrics can be found on line at a more reasonable place. Maybe we should all pool our money and get a round-trip ticket for Asia since most of the bolts have those countries listed as place manufactured. I'd LOVE to find a place that sells US made only but at this that doesn't seem very likely.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 AM

It is also an hour drive for me to get fabric, needles, thread anything sewing related. One LQS and Joann's and Walmart, (In different directions!) Not many choices when you live in a small town, And being unemployed I have to stretch those pennies!!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Go online! It is wondeful. I feel so free. I can visit just about any shop in the entire country. Here are some of my favorites.

The Quilting Place
Craft Connection
Ann's Fabric and Crafts
Over the Rainbow
Always Open Quilt Shop
Wish Upon a Quilt
The Stitch and Frame Shop
The Tattered Rabbit
Tennessee Quilts

Go For it. You will totally enjoy it.