Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OBW Progress--I Think I'm In A Pickle--used flat point ruler

OBW Progress--I Think I'm In A Pickle--used flat point ruler

I got all my hexagons sewn and arranged on my design wall. I am pretty happy with the patterns that emerged and was farily successsful in cascading them down the quilt in a diagonal fashion like I was imagining. Overall, I like the results but the fabric probably isn't ideal for this type of quilt as it has too many small details instead of large multi-shaded shapes.

I realized about half way in that I think I may have bought a ruler that is not ideal. It is flat at the top point so when you sew the 3 pieces together to form half of the hexagon, you have a flat edge (see the photo). Now, how do I match up the rows and make sure the center of my hexagons are lined up and sewn so they meet in the center?? I have the book and looked at online tutorials and I think you use the dog-ears of the points to line up the triangles properly but I don't have any dog-ears at the center point. What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sorry, ran out of image room.

Here is the original fabric. I have been planning on using the matching coral fabric for the border but I'm not sure now that I see the fabric next to the quilt. I may need to go with something that is closer to the medium red from the flowers. I'll have to see if that fabric line has something like that.

Blog Entries
    Oh Golly, if anyone got on here and had never heard of quilting. And they heard of people needing dog ears, stitching in the ditch, ha, wouldn't that be a hoot?

I would like to see a calming border, but I really like to look of the blocks...it reminds me of a vintage hanky quilt. Maybe use green and cream colored borders or the coral color and cream.

Blog Entries
    What I would do is pin and glue-baste the seams before sewing. Place on ironing board, stick a pin straight down through the intersections on each piece, add a small dot of Elmer's washable white school glue in the seam allowance, press with iron to dry the glue, remove pin. This has been the most accurate way I have found to match seams and, with no pins in the way, it's easy to sew.

Blog Entries
    Love the coral color!!!
    Yes, the dog ears do make it easier to match, but you should be OK. Put pin from the back of the block thru the intersection where the 3 triangles intersect. Should be about a quarter inch from the flat part. Now take the same pin and stick it into the seam intersection of the matching hex, with right sides together and secure the 2 pieces with more pins or glue. I would do this on a practice hex and then use a long stitch length to baste them together and verify everything will fit.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Is there a way to fill in the "open" triangle area on the sides? I was thinking of filling it in with whatever I use as border fabric maybe. What type of triangle template would I need and is it hard to do?

Half of a hex would work. Beautiful, just beautiful!!!

For the top and the bottom, I am just going to remove the top/bottom half of the hex. The sides create a different angled 2 sided opening.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast