Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OBW Progress--I Think I'm In A Pickle--used flat point ruler

OBW Progress--I Think I'm In A Pickle--used flat point ruler

I got all my hexagons sewn and arranged on my design wall. I am pretty happy with the patterns that emerged and was farily successsful in cascading them down the quilt in a diagonal fashion like I was imagining. Overall, I like the results but the fabric probably isn't ideal for this type of quilt as it has too many small details instead of large multi-shaded shapes.

I realized about half way in that I think I may have bought a ruler that is not ideal. It is flat at the top point so when you sew the 3 pieces together to form half of the hexagon, you have a flat edge (see the photo). Now, how do I match up the rows and make sure the center of my hexagons are lined up and sewn so they meet in the center?? I have the book and looked at online tutorials and I think you use the dog-ears of the points to line up the triangles properly but I don't have any dog-ears at the center point. What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, ran out of image room.

Here is the original fabric. I have been planning on using the matching coral fabric for the border but I'm not sure now that I see the fabric next to the quilt. I may need to go with something that is closer to the medium red from the flowers. I'll have to see if that fabric line has something like that.

Blog Entries
    Oh Golly, if anyone got on here and had never heard of quilting. And they heard of people needing dog ears, stitching in the ditch, ha, wouldn't that be a hoot?

I would like to see a calming border, but I really like to look of the blocks...it reminds me of a vintage hanky quilt. Maybe use green and cream colored borders or the coral color and cream.

Blog Entries
    What I would do is pin and glue-baste the seams before sewing. Place on ironing board, stick a pin straight down through the intersections on each piece, add a small dot of Elmer's washable white school glue in the seam allowance, press with iron to dry the glue, remove pin. This has been the most accurate way I have found to match seams and, with no pins in the way, it's easy to sew.

Blog Entries
    Love the coral color!!!
    Yes, the dog ears do make it easier to match, but you should be OK. Put pin from the back of the block thru the intersection where the 3 triangles intersect. Should be about a quarter inch from the flat part. Now take the same pin and stick it into the seam intersection of the matching hex, with right sides together and secure the 2 pieces with more pins or glue. I would do this on a practice hex and then use a long stitch length to baste them together and verify everything will fit.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Is there a way to fill in the "open" triangle area on the sides? I was thinking of filling it in with whatever I use as border fabric maybe. What type of triangle template would I need and is it hard to do?

Half of a hex would work. Beautiful, just beautiful!!!

For the top and the bottom, I am just going to remove the top/bottom half of the hex. The sides create a different angled 2 sided opening.

Power Poster
    Putting a pin straight down through the top point intersection into the point intersection on the bottom half hexagon, should match them up nicely. I think the coral companion fabric will look great with your blocks. Your blocks are beautiful!

beautiful quilt it will be --one day i will be brave and make a OBW

Blog Entries
    marci baker likes to trim off her points. here is a video of her doing tumbling blocks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpSETMbws4

It looks gorgeous to me! Half a hex should work.
    Linda

This is gorgeous....I have never done one of these...it is on my bucket list. Great job.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

what a spectacular quilt!!!!! Sorry, I don't have any input on your question, but I LOVE YOUR QUILT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    Is there a way to fill in the "open" triangle area on the sides? I was thinking of filling it in with whatever I use as border fabric maybe. What type of triangle template would I need and is it hard to do?
    I left them as is, then once quilted, I squared the quilt up, and sliced them off!!
    I think that's what most people do.
    I did contemplate leaving it as is, and then binding it to leave a zig-zag outer edge.
    Then I feared it becoming a binding nightmare.
    Besides, I decided I wanted the lace edge ... and of course, that would not have worked!

And yes, 1/2 a hex as fillers for those top and border indents.
    Use the two 1/2s at opposite ends of the quilt, not side-by-side.

You've got a lovely OBW ... I really like the colours.
    While you are thinking it is not ideal to have so much open space ... I like it!
    It gives the eye a place to rest amidst all the swirls and kaleidos
    Plus it lets the eye "see" the kaleidos, instead of it becoming one big mumble-jumble!

Once you get it all together, you'll have a better sense whether you want the reverse print as the border.
    What about using the it as the backing?

Another thing ... your print is similar to mine, in that it is a large print, so would be harder to work it into a border and be able to show the design properly. Thus why, I did not do a traditional border!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 10-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. QuiltE, I've seen a few that are finished with the sawtooth sides and my first thought as well was that could be a nightmare to bind and I don't have enough experience to deal with that much trouble just yet.

I've made a few adjustments to my layout. I'm going to leave it up for at least a few days so that I can keep taking a peak and make sure it looks good. I started it using a general rule of thumb that the blocks should have a swirling motion that starts with the color/flowers on the outside edges of the block and then progress down the quilt swirling inward until the flowers were at the center of the block. That works for some of the blocks but there were a few in the left center that just didn't look right doing it that way so I reversed them and put the blocks that have the flowers in the center and then progress down the quilt with the flowers swirling out of the center. I may reverse a few others using that method as well.
    Last edited by AngelinaMaria; 10-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Take your time ... I found this the most frustrating part of the whole process ... meaning that I wanted it to be "right" and was contiually 2nd guessing myself on it.

Looks like we'll have to challenge each other ... to another OBW and leave that sawtooth edge!!!

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is beautiful! You did a great job!
    Can you give us the name and manufacturer of the fabric you used? It's very pretty.

QuiltE, I already have another fabric on my guest bed that is calling to me. It will be challenging because it is 108" wide fabric and I was unable to buy a full 6 repeats going LOF, but it does have 6 repeats going WOF. So, I will have to cut it a bit different but I am pretty sure I can arrived at the same place with 6 stacked matched sets of fabric. This one is a creamy aqua background with large roses and other flowers in varying shades of pink (probably 5 to 6 different shades which I think will make the blocks really interesting) with green leaves all in a large bouquet formation. This will result in a fair number of blocks mostly aqua and a fair number of blocks all pink then a mix of blocks with pink and green and pink and aqua. I can't wait to get at it!!

Oh no !!! I don't need another challenge YET ......... I am SO far behind on so many quilty things, it's ridiculous!!
    Your fabric sounds beautiful ... I have a feeling you will be racing from this one into the next.
    And honestly, I don't think the sawtooth binding will be that hard ... just tedious and one to do with caution and great attention.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Oh Golly, if anyone got on here and had never heard of quilting. And they heard of people needing dog ears, stitching in the ditch, ha, wouldn't that be a hoot?
    Haha! !
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I have never done one of these quilts so I cannot help with your technical requests...but I had to get on and say how pretty your quilt is!!

Alison

Blog Entries
    First, the quilt is on its way to awsome! the dog ear thing is not a problem. I would simply push a pin straight though the seam where the two fabrics intersect. Leave that pin in place and secure pins on both sides of the seam to hold them in place. then remove the pin that held the seam points together.

Others on the QB probably have better instructions then I do.

love the fabric you used for this beauty!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast