Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: odd directions for block-square in a square in a square, i think

Have made this square

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I doubt my size of block was correct but think she will get the idea. I took pics as I did it. this one is ugly but was only trying out directions.
    I have made this square, simple...begin with two squares same size, face to face, sew around all 4 corners,
    draw X from corner to corner on the square that is not the center...then cut the on the lines just shy of
    the sewn seam around the square. Open the cut area out, making another square, then cut the next
    piece of fabric the size of that square, repeat the process with the next square, face to face, draw, cut,
    fold out, and each time the square gets bigger. True, you do cut loose the points, but it makes a nice block.

Again the members of this board come to the rescue.

Guess what? THIS is how I make my square-in-a-square blocks, and it is not confusing at all. I've taught this class, and everyone LOVES the "big reveal" once the square on top is cut twice on the diagonal and you see what's inside. It is TOO much fun!
    Sewing With Passion!

That certainly sounds like Karin Hellaby's directions for Pineapple blocks. So much fun and so easy. Makes great quilt blocks and quilts.
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

You beat me to it pegquilter!! Definitely Karin Hellaby block. Check out Youtube....there is a good tutorial!!!! Quick and easy block..very effective!
    Hilary

Blog Entries
    Hilary, thank you so much. I sent that info to my friend in England. Even though I sent her pics of the block as I made it, she was still having difficulties. This should help. CC

Blog Entries
    I took a class once that did this. The book was called Exploded pineapple. Great pattern. Fast.

Blog Entries
    Thank you - I found this tute...this is awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJQaTBpZa9g

I would not understand the original directions and would need to post a cry for help from all of you. However, the tutorial with the original post was quite clear.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3