Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no, no, no, no! >

Oh no, no, no, no!

Oh no, no, no, no!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Don't get upset over a mistake. We all over the age of 60 start making such stupid quilting mistakes. I always try to measure twice before I cut but then there is that one you just don't see coming. For heaven sake, don't cry. I would go with the narrower binding. No one will notice. I have even sewn smaller strips together on a double folded binding making sure the seam is on the inside. Just take a break or and come back later to try to pick up the pieces.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I agree. And how could it wear more quickly than bias. Same fabric. And BTW, I use my small rotary to rip, much quicker.
Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I know people who *prefer* to bind as you described, and have never heard of it being an issue in real life.

I have *read* about straight-grain binding wearing more quickly than bias, but I have a suspicion it is a rumour concocted by the same people who recommend always cutting border joins on the diagonal 'because it makes them less obvious' (on rare occasions maybe, depending on the fabric pattern, but otherwise it just uses more fabric - so you have to buy more & spend more money)

So my answer would be: leave it as it is.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

The only reason you would want to cut selvedge to selvedge is that there's a bit more 'give' so it's easier to apply the binding. I usually let the print of the fabric decide which way to cut it. The only time you have to really be careful is if you have a scalloped edge. In that case you must cut the binding on the bias so it will conform to the curves.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

The good news is that even though bindings cut on the straight of grain do wear more quickly it still takes years for those signs of wear to show unless the binding fabric was of inferior quality, then it might show signs of wear more quickly. Either way, by the time the edge starts to show wear the quilt will be outgrown. If it has become a sentimental attachment for the giftee, the even better news is, binding is easy to replace. You can cut it off, remove it by seam ripper, or you can simply sew a new binding over the old.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Oh, my goodness!

It will be fine!

I thought you had sliced a hole into the center of the quilt from the way you started out.

If the binding is laying well and cooperating with you - what more can one ask?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 AM

I've done that several times with no issues. Actually, I've been cutting my borders that way, it saves on piecing them together and work out quite well. No worries, its fine.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I have always cut from the length, as best I can, to get the most of it. I have never had any problem with my bindings, and I have been quilting since 1992.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 AM

no problem that I can see, just drink the whiskey, and forget about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Don't worry about it until the binding actually wears out. THEN you can take it off and redo it, not now.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 AM

I have watched hundreds of quilting shows and the designers often say to cut lengthwise with no give for perfect lines and no wobble. I'm sure it will be just fine.